Amazing what people throw away - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2008, 06:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amazing what people throw away

This morning I hauled an old car to the local scrap yard. When dropping off the car at the mountain of scrap there I noticed a small PA amp laying in the pile. I grabbed it to use the chassis to build somthing else into it. Once I got home however, I hooked it up and it works perfectly. It's a Muzak Series 3000. Not very powerful or anything but for a freebie it's pretty nice.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
JRace is offline JRace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice!

I happened to arrive at a firends house, lucky for me he had enough of his wifes complaining, and was "takin out the trash".

Thankfully it was his old SAE stereo being dumped...and not his wife...although that could have been a nice find too

So I came home with a SAE amp, Tape deck and Preamp all in an original SAE rack. Other than a scratchy channel in the pre it works!

Now my wife wants it out of my garage though
Old 20th August 2008, 11:27 PM   #3
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

A couple of years ago I went by a very large annual community yard sale given to benefit a local parochial school. They were still gathering stuff and the people that worked there were taking the odd thing to use at the school.

Anyway, this person I know that works there was in the music room busily refurbishing this credenza-like piece of furniture to serve as a sheet music storage cabinet. It had a familiar look to it that I couldn't place. Looking around I noticed what appeared to be two rectangles of grillcloth covered wood leaning against one wall. I went over, tipped one out from the wall and took a look behind.

Each one had a JBL D120 and an 075 ring radiator mounted on it. The credenza had been a JBL hi-fi console. It had a 1963 date on it.

"What are you going to do with these?" I asked.

"They're going in the dumpster." she said, "Do you want them?"

"Yes" I said and walked out - quickly.

The D120's are now waiting for a nice BF Deluxe Reverb clone to be completed.

GL
Old 21st August 2008, 04:47 AM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
A couple of years ago, a Swiss friend came to stay with us for Xmas.

He brought me a present he had salvaged from the local "hard waste" collection day as he KNEW I would be interested.

A complete Quad FM2 with decoder, 2 Quad IIs and the 22 preamp, all in complete working order!!!

He struggled through customs with it and somehow managed to escape paying any extra baggage charges. Of course, he had few clothes to wear.

It doesn't happen every day unfortunately.

Andy
Old 21st August 2008, 05:01 AM   #5
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

More people should be looking at RECYCLING rather throw away items.

Most items manufactured nowadays are made to be thrown away when they become defective those incl DVD player, etc, Pity though with so much gabage generated each year.
Old 21st August 2008, 05:26 AM   #6
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
More people should be looking at RECYCLING rather throw away items.

Most items manufactured nowadays are made to be thrown away when they become defective those incl DVD player, etc, Pity though with so much gabage generated each year.

Too True...

Our local council run tip has now been renamed the recycling facility.

It still goes to landfill - little or no recycling!!

Andy
Old 21st August 2008, 03:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A company i worked for long ago had Purchased a once famous recording studio (owners son was a musician). I was asked to help get the studio in shape. When i got there they were just about to haul Three Ampex 300 reel to reel decks, a 350 and a stack of original master tapes. I was able to stop them but the electronics for the decks had been tossed a week earlier and were gone!

Oh that stack of master tapes had things like Bob Will and the Tx Playboys, the Dixie Chickens (the pre dixie chicks!!) Helen ready, and some old rolling stones master tapes!

Later i managed to salvage 4 MCI reel to reel decks, a Black face LA4 compressor, an Ampex 440, some Urei 813C's and some other stuff.

FF 3 years later and the company folds and it all goes back to the bank and off to auction! GRRRRRRR
Old 21st August 2008, 03:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I once found out in the woods by the RR tracks a box full of radio transmitter tubes, and about 10 5881/6L6's plus tons of iron and sockets!
Old 21st August 2008, 04:12 PM   #9
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This is what i found thrown away
talking a walk in my neighbourhood

Click the image to open in full size.

A big bunch of electrical 'leftover cable pieces'.
Most probably from some electrical job
When I lift the bunch, I can feel the weight is something like
two 1 liter milk packages ~ 2 kg ( > 4 pounds )
More than half of this weight is copper rest is plastic insulation

Will be a good while, before i have to order some copper cables
for my DIY Auudio experiments & constructions

Regards Lineup
http://lineupaudio.freehostia.com/forum/index.php
(members only audio projects)
Old 21st August 2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Many moons ago I found a pair of JBL LE8T's and PR's in boxes beside a dumpster. That's my best "find"

Hide this!Advertise here!