Amazing what people throw away - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2008, 04:17 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Please people, post your old amps on ebay so someone can fix them up...
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:03 AM   #22
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

They weren't quite thrown away, but at $2 they might as well have been: a pair of Energy Excel mini-speakers at a dance academy fundraising sale. Grill cloth is a bit rough, but they sound fine. I got a usable Pioneer receiver out of a trash pile on the street... not pretty (cracked glass, bent knobs), but it plays music... fine for a workshop system. $4 at a yard sale for a Sony D-NE510 MP3/Atrac CD walkman. Together, that's not a bad system for $6, although I'd be tempted to substitute a TA2024 amp for the receiver, since it fits better with the "small" theme.

I found a repairable LCD monitor by a recycling bin... less than $20 (delivered) in parts got it working. Got a 19" LCD that also needed fixing (was actually still under warranty!) on Freecycle... also needed less than $20 in parts. And Freecycle also brought me a laser printer that just needed the toner cart from my recently-deceased old printer to make it usable.
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:29 AM   #23
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Before moving to a house a couple of months ago I made a pile of all the DIY-related junk that I didnīt want to bring over to my new home. A few big transformers, a lot of amp chassis, some tubes and a couple of woofers plus some transistor related stuff.
I offered the lot out for free on a local hifi forum, all or nothing and pickup only. A guy from a neighbour town took it.

A few weeks later I mentioned on the same forum that I needed a pair of 15" woofers for an OB project and guess what: The guy that relieved me from all the "junk" offered me four Rila 15" woofers for free! Before I left after picking them up he also gave me a pair of EV RH90 horns with adapters.
Old 26th September 2008, 01:45 AM   #24
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

When I was a kid a great uncle died and we went to clean out the house. Nobody took anything as they had an auction and you had to buy it. House was full of stuff, tons of antiques including a nice standup victrola. Out in the barn my brother found an original speaker in a wooden crate, think I saw it and asked him as he was into music stuff then more than me. I think it was an electrovoice. It is just a big paper cone maybe 15" with a heavy cast stand that holds the center, it was brand new and worked. He still has it put away....we got it because they were going to toss it. Also have old radio another uncle was going to toss, I was going to gut it and put something new in it but not sure. It is maybe 3' wide and tall, nice light hardwood. It has a heck of a radio in it with many bands and strange green tubes that show when you are tuned in to a station. Has some big mono speaker in the bottom and the front closes with a wood panel, very nice cabinet. Has to be from the 60s I'd think and sounded pretty good actually. Its just like new in condition.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:32 PM   #25
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Last week a guy across the street tossed a nice big garden hose reel out for the trash. Yeah I went over an carried it home for some excitement Anyway the fitting inside there was froze and cracked. I get on the net and try to get a price on one...turns out they are free. So it came in the mail and I put it together it works great. Has the nice storage compartment in the top and the hose guide, looks pretty good. Not audio, but I have to stay in spotting practice for when something good gets tossed out....

Hide this!Advertise here!