Amazing what people throw away - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2008, 04:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

A long time ago, like 20 years ago when I was at a graduate school, the department decided to trash all the old equipment and overhaul the labs, so right in front of my lab which was at a ground level, there were pile of "measurement" electronics, which are very old but still working.

You figured, didn't you?
I got tons of tubes, trannies, caps, and resistors. I could not take any of equipment itself since they told me not to, but I could take any parts.

My tube-gear guilding skill got improved so much at that time, combined with cheap labor in S. Korea for ordering custom chassis.

Doug
Old 22nd August 2008, 02:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I just recently found a Pioneer SA-7800 in a recycle pile at our local waste facility. They call the building the "Reuse Zone". Living here in Vermont there are a lot of people concerned about waste management and the state has some pretty good laws. It helps me find good things. I also scored a Rotel tuner. The PCB is broken, but the case will be nice for a preamp or chip amp. I also work for a company that seems to enjoy throwing out perfectly good stuff, instead of trying to resell it. Because of this I manage to go home with a lot of nice electronic components/assemblies and metal stock. My basement is getting crowded however.

Peace,

Dave
Old 22nd August 2008, 03:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

About 12 years ago the Tufts EE Dept. threw out an entire dumpster full of old Weston and GE mahagony cased meters as well as their entire NOS stock of tubes.
Old 22nd August 2008, 03:34 AM   #14
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Does Massachusetts have the death penalty?
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:02 AM   #15
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've given/thrown away more than I remember:

- reel to reel machines; Studer, Ampex (all gens), MCI, Sony, Tascam, Revox, Sculley, and Metrotech
- audio consoles; Studer, MCI, McCurdy, Ward Beck, Auditronics, BE, and more I no longer recall

DAT machines, professional cassette machines, transmitters, hundreds of brand new DAT, cassette and reel-to-reel tapes, buckets of 600:600 transformers, complete radio shops in spare parts.... just thinking of it make me a bit dizzy.

On the plus side, junk on the way to the dump that came home instead include TV station tube inventories, a Mac 240, a pair of 12" rubber surround alnico Tannoy Golds, antique microphones back to the '30s......

That's life in radio.
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:24 AM   #16
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Approximately four years ago I was working for a major university. They had an auditorium with a fairly old sound system, half a decade old with a handful of newer pieces, I'd say.

After an embarrassing high-profile event involving an U.S. ex-President and some severely sub-par sound reinforcement with tinny, thin, pinched sound, numerous crackles and dropouts, they decided to redo their entire sound system.

The builders came in and the old gear came out. Sitting in a pile were some old speaker cabs. The gear in the sound booth was disconnected and marked for scrap.

Before the speaker cabs were tossed, my co-worker and I took a look to see if there was anything worth keeping. What we came across were two Altec cabs (which had actually been disconnected at least a decade earlier, maybe much longer) which contained twelve separate drivers that we had never heard of.

I did a quick search on the internet and said to him, "Hmmm.... I think these Altec 755E's are pretty desireable." We hooked them for a quick test and, boy, did they sound warm, present, and alive.

I ended up keeping all of them. Man, do I feel lucky.

Also in the stash were a pair of Electrovoice ST350B tweeters and a bunch of small oval drivers that came from a pair of tall, thin, extruded aluminum Electrovoice cabs (I kept the ST350B's but couldn't find any info on the oval drivers, so let them go).

I also laid claim to two mono movie theater type tube amps of a make I can't remember. The had a lot of heavy iron on them and were of the same ilk as some of the of the old Western Electric/ Altec amps, but were apparently of a lesser pedigree. I couldn't find a lot of information on these, so I left them behind when I moved across the country. I had planned on cleaning them up for auction, but, alas, no time. I also left behind a pair of old mono Altec solid state PA amps (I did get a pair of Altec 15095A mic step-up transformers from these, though. Plan on using them as MC step-up transformers for spinning LPs).

I also got 6 4" Altec drivers (black cone with silver dustcap, of the same vintage as the 755's) that would have made a great rear channel speakers for a HT system with a few 755's in front. I can't remember the model number of these, but alas, these also got left behind in the move. I had left them with a furniture designer friend of mine, and he was going to build some cabs for them in exchange for some modded T-amps. He got too busy to build the cabs and I lost touch with him at the time of the move.

So in the end I came out with 6 pair of Altec 755E's, a pair of Electrovoice ST350B tweeters, and some nice Altec 15095A MC step-up transformers. Very, very fortunate.

What really got me, though, was the two dozen or so ceiling-mounted speakers that were marked for disposal but were essentially abandoned where they stood because of the asbestos hazard. I never found out what these were, but from the look of them, I guessing they were more Altec speakers, or even Tannoys. Damn.

It's great to find these treasures, but really troubling to think these treasures are getting thrown out. I guess you can't have the one without the other. Lucky to benefit from it, though.

Best,
KT
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:26 AM   #17
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...a pair of 12" rubber surround alnico Tannoy Golds...

I've dreamed of finding a pair of Tannoys, or just finding them cheap somewhere.

Great find.

KT
Old 23rd August 2008, 03:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

And here's another report from Vermont. My employer is in another of it's "cleaning sprees". Today I brought home a HP 1650A logic analyzer (not worth much, not sure what I will do with it) and a HP 8560 Spectrum Analyzer. This one doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the audio spectrum, it stops at 50Hz, but it's still plenty useful!
Old 2nd September 2008, 06:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

Too True...
Our local council run tip has now been renamed the recycling facility.
It still goes to landfill - little or no recycling!!

Andy
It's also a criminal offence for you to take anything away with you to strip parts out.

And if you get the permission you need to do so, it's then commercial waste and you get to pay to dispose of it.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Our local council run tip has now been renamed the recycling facility.

It still goes to landfill - little or no recycling!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eeka chu
It's also a criminal offence for you to take anything away with you to strip parts out.

And if you get the permission you need to do so, it's then commercial waste and you get to pay to dispose of it.
Yup, exactly the same way it is here

An item still needs to be plugged in and tested for *some* funtionality before the recycler will take it. If it's totally poofed or if it's been parted, one needs to pay $$$ to have it disposed of

Hide this!Advertise here!