How much should I expect to pay for a good power supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2003, 09:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How much should I expect to pay for a good power supply?

I've found a dual current-limiting variable-voltage DC power supply. It does 0-30 Volts and up to 3 amps on each channel. Only problem is it costs $300 Is this a reasonable price for a power supply?

If this is an unreasonable price, where do you recommend online for purchasing power supplies? This isn't an item I feel comfortable DIY'ing by the way, so I think I'm going to break down and buy a power supply sometime soon.

I'm going to be doing some automobile work so a DC power supply I could play around with inside would be nice. Might be cheaper to just disconnect my car battery and take it inside for the night since I won't be drawing that much current. But of course I've saved up some money over the last few weeks so I have to find a way to spend it
Old 23rd March 2003, 12:20 AM   #2
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default power supply prices

Hi...
I suspect this is for a new one ?
I deal in surplus and depending upon the name
surplus ones working can be bought with both voltage
and current adjust for about $100-150 and might be found
on ebay. I've had some and have sold them used surplus
working at those prices. Good names to buy....
Lambda, Kepco and Sorenson. Good luck in your quest
Steve @ Apex Jr
Old 23rd March 2003, 02:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
$100 could build it, $50 and even much less if you're a good scrounger
If it's a techy piece of lab equipment, the extra money may well be worth the precision of the output, who knows...(but audio doesn't need .02% regulation so who cares ).

Tim
Old 23rd March 2003, 06:48 AM   #4
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

$300 is very reasonable for its intended purpose. Absolutely not for my audio amplifiers.
Old 23rd March 2003, 10:08 AM   #5
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How much should I expect to pay for a good power supply?

Quote:
Originally posted by Corn-Picker
I've found a dual current-limiting variable-voltage DC power supply. It does 0-30 Volts and up to 3 amps on each channel. Only problem is it costs $300 Is this a reasonable price for a power supply?

If this is an unreasonable price, where do you recommend online for purchasing power supplies? This isn't an item I feel comfortable DIY'ing by the way, so I think I'm going to break down and buy a power supply sometime soon.

I'm going to be doing some automobile work so a DC power supply I could play around with inside would be nice. Might be cheaper to just disconnect my car battery and take it inside for the night since I won't be drawing that much current. But of course I've saved up some money over the last few weeks so I have to find a way to spend it
A very reasonable price.
Old 23rd March 2003, 10:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you need a dual for automobile work? You could find some cheaper ones if you do not really need dual voltage output. If not, check also Farnell psu's in second hand. Very solid gear. Very heavy also.
Old 23rd March 2003, 01:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default AST Global is in PA

check their auctions on EBay. Bid Service is in South NJ -- they sell a lot of used power supplies -- most of what they sell is semiconductor manufacturing and test.

Hide this!Advertise here!