Tracing coaxial cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2008, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tracing coaxial cables

This is probably a long shot, but I need some advice on how to trace (find) coaxial cables installed in a wall.

I know where one end is, but not the other.

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Where I live, the local 'home depot' sells small battery-powered thingies that locate any cabling or piping, as long as it is metallic, in a wall. I don't know how they are called at your end, probably something like 'cable finder'...

Jan Didden
Old 11th August 2008, 06:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Maybe this could work: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100395149
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th August 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

That will find AC lines only (due to large radiating magnetic field). It will not find a coax cable with a small video signal or no signal at all.

If you know where one end of the cable is, and you want to find the other end, you can short the end that you do have (connect the centre conductor to the shield). Take your multimeter and check all the coax cables you can find, hopefully one of them will be shorted.
Old 13th August 2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Elvee is online now Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you have access to one end and the other is more or less floating, you can use the kind of cable tracer used by telephone workers: it is a small device connected between the shorted pair (the coax braid in your case) and the ground (earth, distribution frame, pipe, etc.... ). It sends a powerful and characteristic audio signal which is picked up capacitively by a high impedance receiver. It can detect a cable at up to some tens of centimeters, if there isn't too much obstruction.
LV
Old 14th August 2008, 06:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvee
Hi,

If you have access to one end and the other is more or less floating, you can use the kind of cable tracer used by telephone workers: it is a small device connected between the shorted pair (the coax braid in your case) and the ground (earth, distribution frame, pipe, etc.... ). It sends a powerful and characteristic audio signal which is picked up capacitively by a high impedance receiver. It can detect a cable at up to some tens of centimeters, if there isn't too much obstruction.
LV
That could work, thanks.

What I was initially thinking of was a device I used many years ago, where you would place a battery operated probe across the power leads in a junction box, and then walk around with a sniffer and follow the cable. It would work through metal conduits - pretty cool. I was stymied with coax, since it's shielded, but I like your approach. It worked by overlaying a high frequency signal (about 1-2 kHz) over the power line fundamental.

However, in the end, I had some notion of where I buried that cable in the wall, and just removed a 6 foot slice of drywall and found it. More work, but no fancy test gear to go buy.

Thanks for the creative suggestions!

Hide this!Advertise here!