Ezgpib

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, some progress.
Got EZGPIB to query the Neutrik and get status and ID back.
Then switched to RT-Eval which is a small evaluation utility, but fully functional, to load multitones in the unit and query the results.
Using an internal loop-back command I used a 30-tone multitone and got the attached for THD.

Jan Didden

Attachments

• rt1m test.jpg
    rt1m test.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 180
I wrote a little program in ezGPIB to demonstrate the "correctness" of an RIAA preamplifier using the 3577a -- from the gain at 1kHz you set the zero. From the 20Hz and 20kHz extrema you set the limits. You can thus reset the vertical axis.

The Boonton 1120 and Tektronix AA5010/SG5010 are all programmable over the GPIB. Both the Boonton and Tek oscillators have THD% in the same order of magnitude as the AP system 2 (i.e. 0.0003% to 0.0004%). I would suggest that you can get a lot of performance with a lot less $$$ if you take the time to do a little programming with these instruments.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jackinnj said:
I wrote a little program in ezGPIB to demonstrate the "correctness" of an RIAA preamplifier using the 3577a -- from the gain at 1kHz you set the zero. From the 20Hz and 20kHz extrema you set the limits. You can thus reset the vertical axis.

The Boonton 1120 and Tektronix AA5010/SG5010 are all programmable over the GPIB. Both the Boonton and Tek oscillators have THD% in the same order of magnitude as the AP system 2 (i.e. 0.0003% to 0.0004%). I would suggest that you can get a lot of performance with a lot less $$$ if you take the time to do a little programming with these instruments.

Just bought a 3577A, to be delivered next week, tested, guaranteed and with full manual. As well as a Fluke System Multimeter 8520A. Also picked up an HP3437 System Voltmeter "as-is" which looked very good and clean and even had a cal sticker. I'll see if that works, a gamble for 45 euro.
I am slowly finding out that for a fraction of the cost one can put together a testbench that only big companies could afford 20-30 years ago.

I'd be interested in that 3577 RIAA program. I have no problems with EZGPIB's Pascal, been using Pascal in another life for a couple of years. I'm no geek but know my way around with it.

Have a nice and sunny weekend,

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jack,

What do you use as input attenuator for the '3577A? Since the input headroom is quite limited, I'm currently using a 600ohms HP attenuator. Works well but it is only flat out to a few Mhz, and phase starts to roll of before that.

I was thinking to get a 50 ohms RF attenuator (there are many that are flat from DC upwards) but power handling is limited. I'd like to input up to 40 or 50VRMS from my power amps into the attenuator, but 50V is 50W in 50 ohms.

Any advice?

Jan Didden

sorry to get back late, i saw that this had lit up while i was away -- I use an HP 350D which, as you say, is only good to 1MHz or so, and is 600 ohms. I also have some attenuators which I built -- the "Curiously Refreshing 50 ohm attenuator" -- in Altoids tins -- I also have a rig to separate DC from the '3577.

I will publish the RIAA program, but it is pretty simple..

I am not worthy to secure the sandle-strap of any of those guys on the HP Microwave Forum at Yahoo. The best I ever did was 1296 MHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.