Why are subscriber's IP addresses posted on threads? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2008, 05:20 PM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

John, remember the pattern-seeking we've talked about before in the context of audiophoolery?
Old 7th August 2008, 05:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Notorious
Still I'm not so sure I'm "īnvisible" When somebody really wants you, they'll get you.
Exactly, so why worry about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Notorious
Oh and btw... Watch out what proxy you pick and where.. I don't know what program you're using but there are only few good proxy clients around..
I wasn't using a proxy client, just a simple web based applet. Like I said, I don't normally use proxies because I don't feel I need to.

My IP is static, but if I ever feel I need a new one all it takes is a change of the MAC of my router and a restart of my cable modem.
Old 7th August 2008, 05:30 PM   #23
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do you really think that a pro-hacker is interested in a few diy-schematics, a mail folder with file sizes up to six digits and a few pictures of naked girls? Nah, this place and its inmates are not their target.

/Hugo
Old 7th August 2008, 05:34 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default foolery

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
John, remember the pattern-seeking we've talked about before in the context of audiophoolery?
You're probably right... seems the whole 'net thing has become a commercial venue of mindless verbosity anyway. Oh for the pre '93 days of running part of GEnIE in the late '80's..

Here's the pwd GE "randomly" assigned me as sysop back then during initial setup.. uf*kdux.. really... had alot of fun when I feigned my disgust and demanded a new one...

back to important stuff like compression of H2O and such...

l8tr

John L
Old 7th August 2008, 05:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Identity theft? Through diyaudio? That's too funny.

Someone recently called my bank and managed to get login details and all my personal info over the phone and by email. Eventually i got a to see a copy of the entire email exchange over a period of months. It was quite illuminating.

Forums are the least of anyone's worries.
Old 7th August 2008, 06:42 PM   #26
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Try here: http://www.maxmind.com/app/lookup_city just add a .1 as the final octet.
This isn't very accurate. I don't live anywhere near Aiken SC. It's not even the right state.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:04 PM   #27
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I have contacted the guys that do the nuts and bolts of the site to get their opinion. We'll find out..

Old 7th August 2008, 10:24 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Why are subscriber's IP addresses posted on threads?

Quote:
Originally posted by musiclistener
What the hell is this? I noticed everyone's IP addresses are showing in the lower right box of the postings. What reason could this website possibly have for displaying even a partial IP address?

I always saw it as a gentle reminder that we are all personally accountable for our posts.
Old 8th August 2008, 01:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I emailed the website administrator, and no answer. And it does not look like the moderator has said anything about this yet. If there is even a remote chance of a breach why put the IP addresses on their at all?
Old 8th August 2008, 01:48 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Identity theft? Through diyaudio? That's too funny.

Someone recently called my bank and managed to get login details and all my personal info over the phone and by email. Eventually i got a to see a copy of the entire email exchange over a period of months. It was quite illuminating.

Forums are the least of anyone's worries.
Perhaps. Can you provide a compelling counter-argument though? Why is this useful, to anyone?

Privacy is one of those slippery slope issues, arguments should be made for revealing information, not for keeping it in the open.

Seeing how many people have mis-stated their country of origin in their profile, I would imagine that many members would rather be anonymous. Most people here, whether their country is accurate or not, don't offer a city. Posting the IP address makes those 'measures' pointless. Whether they are effective or not is another argument, and I don't think anyone can provide solid data either way. This is why it should be left up to the user.

Hide this!Advertise here!