Why are subscriber's IP addresses posted on threads? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2008, 02:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

OMG PROXIES!!!!
Old 7th August 2008, 02:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have a Spam filter. I never see it. Spam is deleted from my ISP's server and never delivered to my computer.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default spam

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Berry
I have a Spam filter. I never see it. Spam is deleted from my ISP's server and never delivered to my computer.
Most of mine goes into a spam folder and is deleted as well. I was simply commenting on what seems to occur.

John L.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
OMG PROXIES!!!!
So you think you're "safe" using proxy?????Click the image to open in full size.
If so, you got lot to learn bout internet and internet security ma man..
Old 7th August 2008, 03:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I didn't say I was safe; however you define that. I did say I'm not paranoid however; and could care less who has my IP address.

The OP was worried about the IP shown on each post, I was simply demonstrating how easy it is to hide your real IP from showing.

BTW, I don't use proxies so I don't really care how effective they are.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:55 PM   #16
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As it happens, I'm sitting in a room with a computer security expert who admins several forums. She didn't seem too concerned. Her points:

1. Most IP addresses are dynamic, i.e., you'll be assigned a different last number at random each time you log in to your ISP. So that address is not specific to you.

2. An IP address will not have anything to do with spam or email.

3. When hackers attack computers, they do it en masse, they'll cycle through IP numbers serially. They do not cut and paste from forum posts, that's WAY too inefficient.

4. Anyone with a firewall (and that's anyone running Windows or using a wireless router, probably the same for Mac OS, too) will effectively block any but the most determined attackers. And those will not be worrying about getting a dynamic IP address off of forum posts.

The real things to worry about have more to do with social engineering, i.e., going to bad websites, opening emails or attachments you shouldn't, etc, etc, etc.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1 demonstrating how easy it is to hide your real IP from showing.
You are never "hidden" on da net.. Imagine you're driving in the car and cops are following and watching you.. Even if you done nothing wrong you'd get nervous.. That is exactly point of worrying about your IP addresses being on display. I'm not worried about nothing and have nothing to hide. Still my putter is like Fort Knox. Still I'm not so sure I'm "īnvisible" When somebody really wants you, they'll get you.

Oh and btw... Watch out what proxy you pick and where.. I don't know what program you're using but there are only few good proxy clients around..
Old 7th August 2008, 04:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
As it happens, I'm sitting in a room with a computer security expert who admins several forums. She didn't seem too concerned. Her points:

1. Most IP addresses are dynamic, i.e., you'll be assigned a different last number at random each time you log in to your ISP. So that address is not specific to you.

Not true.. I have static IP.. In fact most IP addresses are static.
Quote:
2. An IP address will not have anything to do with spam or email.
That's true.. Kind of..
Quote:
4. Anyone with a firewall (and that's anyone running Windows or using a wireless router, probably the same for Mac OS, too) will effectively block any but the most determined attackers. And those will not be worrying about getting a dynamic IP address off of forum posts.
O yeah? Why don't you go ask your girlfriend to go google for Cracking WEP.. If there is one thing I really don't trust it'll be wireless router..
Old 7th August 2008, 04:42 PM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Anyone who is cracking WEP isn't cutting and pasting IP addresses from forums.

Doing a quick scan in the forum's engine room, out of the first 25 members I looked at, 23 of them were from dynamic IPs (I could see lots of last numbers from the same member).
Old 7th August 2008, 05:10 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default email

I dunno whether ip addresses can be hacked to reveal more info, nor do I much care ... BUT... I do know my email starts stacking in the spam folder after I get a DIY post email after visiting the forum...as I said b4. Maybe hacking the user profile db...

Maybe a co-incidence, maybe not.

John L.

Hide this!Advertise here!