This is very interesting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the link!

At first I thought it was a joke (we tell Portagee jokes in Hawaii). But no, it's the real thing.

Hard to imagine where paper based transistors might take us. Do they sound better than silicon transistors? ;)

isticism said:
Next up: Corrugated cardboard desktop computers...
I saw some at a furniture store the other day....:D Yeah I see all the music playing birthday cards at the store for $5, but that is hefty price for a card. I recall the excitement when they made the transducer for that. I'm always amazed at how long it takes this kind of stuff to get mainstream if at all, I like to watch Japan they are much faster. On the other hand I use my cell for talking, I hate all the camera and other garbage on it when it can't keep up a call outside of town, or the tiny battery goes dead so fast.

Paper transistors takes the "green shift" to the next level for sure :D

planet10 said:
My cel is 7 years old... i'm not looking forward to the day when i can't patch it up anymore.

My fingers are too dang big for the new phones :mad:

The wife's phone is quite impossible for me to use unless I use a pencil for the keys.

Cheers!

planet10 said:

:)

My cel is 7 years old... i'm not looking forward to the day when i can't patch it up anymore.

dave
Lol, I've never bought one either, this is the third one I've gotten for free from someone who got a new one. Two of them were some other carrier I switched over....have to be sneaky and have the right phone. ;) They are mostly all CDMA here. Yes I hate it when form overcomes function on an item you use a lot. They shutdown analog cellular here now and then you have tiny phones that have a hard time reaching with digital signals, but then the cell companies here have always been half baked. If it does not increase revenue they don't want it on the phone, or better yet they change the software so it does not function....nice way to please your customers. All the junk they add to it and it can't make calls as well and battery life suffers.

Now I wonder if they will come up with waterproof paper for this? Certainly is not that durable but I suppose they would use for things that do not matter. Makes for some pretty interesting uses people can dream up.

Wavebourn said:

Think of caps: paper in oil, electrolytics...

Do they matter?

One time my kid dropped a little toy radio type thing in a pool. I grabbed it and peeled the cover off, set it in the sun to dry it was hot out. In the couple minutes it took me a couple resistors rotted right off. Later I found replacements and fixed it....but I can imagine a paper board in there and what would happen. I guess if it is cheap enough you can toss it, then again the owner suffers loss and the landfill fills up....I get tired of disposable items like that. But maybe I am thinking of the wrong uses for this. I guess this might lend itself to dipping the whole finished board into something, that would be easy to do if connections/heatsinks were dealt with. Now if you could print it on the back of those plastic sheet solar cells and use the greeting card transducers, you could have a stereo radio right in the solar cell, all in a sheet of thick paper/plastic/etc.:)

Yeah but few recycle here, there is no incentive to do so in most areas. We do have a can return here, that must help a lot. If I want to recycle I have to take my glass/plastic/etc about 5 miles or more away and put them in dumpsters for that....when I pay for a dumpster that is right here if full or empty. Another issue is this place does not easily lend itself to having multiple containers to store that stuff. I see some cities are charging for trash and recycling is free. I don't make that much trash anyway, I wish I could click on the net and have them pick up when I was full here, but they don't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.