diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   "Murky area with regard to forum policy" (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/12710-murky-area-regard-forum-policy.html)

mrfeedback 20th March 2003 06:45 PM

"Murky area with regard to forum policy"

This issue has arisen because of a member asking advice regarding repairs to his television.
Previous Thread

I bring to attention that pretty much all modern equipment nowadays has a disclaimer label saying "refer servicing to qualified personnel only".
Presumably anybody who is not fully qualified that disregards this notification is taking any liability on their own cognizance.

I know that it is rare on this forum for questions regarding servicing advice wrt items like televisions to arise, but on the other hand all sorts of advices are given regarding 240V wiring, and on the face of it, this is equally dangerous and similar precautions are in order.

So, what are the legal liability and forum policy stances regarding issues such as these ?.

Eric / - Been servicing tvs for years and still in one piece.

BTW the member who asked the questions regarding the vertical problem in his TV was able to resolve the fault with my advice, and rigourously is still alive and well, and able to email and thank me for my assistance.

Christer 20th March 2003 08:38 PM

Good point, Eric. What about requiring every new member to
read and accept a safety disclaimer text that briefly discusses
the potential hazards, including that also voltages on the
secondary side can be lethal, that even if you pull the plug there
can be lethal voltages in capacitors etc. I don't know what
juridical bearing such a text would have, but it will at least
remind people that we are dealing with dangerous things.

Tube_Dude 20th March 2003 10:03 PM

The dangers of diyaudio....

Quote:

I know that it is rare on this forum for questions regarding servicing advice wrt items like televisions to arise, but on the other hand all sorts of advices are given regarding 240V wiring, and on the face of it, this is equally dangerous and similar precautions
And we can not forgot that some SE valve amplifiers work with 1.000 volts in the HT suplly...and 500 volts is comum in tube amplifiers...
From some posts i reach the conclusion that many people don't have a minimum of knowlage of electronic theory...
This two conditions together may become a hazardous cocktail...:att'n:

till 20th March 2003 10:19 PM

Its the same virus of ridiculous behavior the mods have shown at the peace thread and others. It was a bad mistake to install this moderating thing. No we have aome kind of goverment that annoys us. How to get rid of this ?

What is playing around with a TV else than diyvideo??? Since i do this audio stuff i followed the advice to buy a scope - ok - now they are two, one is defect and i play around in the inside of it. It has 24kV. If i die because of this its only my problem - and is not related to anyone in this board.

SY 20th March 2003 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by till
Its the same virus of ridiculous behavior the mods have shown at the peace thread and others. It was a bad mistake to install this moderating thing. No we have aome kind of goverment that annoys us. How to get rid of this ?

Easy. Start your own Bulletin Board.

Fred Dieckmann 20th March 2003 11:47 PM

Demoracy is the worst form of goverment except for all the others.

No we have aome kind of goverment that annoys us. How to get rid of this ?

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were advocating a regime change.........

Like in any society, rules exist and need people to enforce them. I think the moderators are remarkable even handed, considering the stuff some of the forum members try to get away with........

till 20th March 2003 11:53 PM

i donīt belive you wrote exactly what you think but i bet you think right....

AudioFreak 21st March 2003 01:37 AM

As established earlier, TV servicing / modification / repairs etc are not to be discussed on these forums. That position is final.

AudioFreak
diyAudio Moderator.

Jason 21st March 2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Easy. Start your own Bulletin Board.
pml

...and no, i don't really want my *** sued for providing a well intentioned (presently) non-profit service to the community.

setmenu 21st March 2003 11:40 AM

Hmm,seems to me rather than just closing down threads making
inquiries into the 'subject':rolleyes: something a Little more
reasoned my be required.
The main inspiration of my closed thread was wishing to understand more about why another thread was closed!
I wished to Learn about the subject in question.

I personally have no interest in working on CRTs But now understand a little more about the hazards involved in doing so.
I merely asked about the voltages inside not how to modify
anything.
The content of the replies seemed to be warnings and information related
to voltage risks /fire etc.

Perhaps a 'hazards of... ' thread would provide a more informed
way of discouraging work on potentially dangerous devices.
And encourage good working practices in general.

Then again one could always set a thread voltage limit ;) anything below =OK anything above =Banned!;)

Anyway Diyaudio.com is great
:D :D

Cheers:drink: :drink: :drink:

Setmenu