"Murky area with regard to forum policy"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This issue has arisen because of a member asking advice regarding repairs to his television.
Previous Thread

I bring to attention that pretty much all modern equipment nowadays has a disclaimer label saying "refer servicing to qualified personnel only".
Presumably anybody who is not fully qualified that disregards this notification is taking any liability on their own cognizance.

I know that it is rare on this forum for questions regarding servicing advice wrt items like televisions to arise, but on the other hand all sorts of advices are given regarding 240V wiring, and on the face of it, this is equally dangerous and similar precautions are in order.

So, what are the legal liability and forum policy stances regarding issues such as these ?.

Eric / - Been servicing tvs for years and still in one piece.

BTW the member who asked the questions regarding the vertical problem in his TV was able to resolve the fault with my advice, and rigourously is still alive and well, and able to email and thank me for my assistance.

Good point, Eric. What about requiring every new member to
read and accept a safety disclaimer text that briefly discusses
the potential hazards, including that also voltages on the
secondary side can be lethal, that even if you pull the plug there
can be lethal voltages in capacitors etc. I don't know what
juridical bearing such a text would have, but it will at least
remind people that we are dealing with dangerous things.

The dangers of diyaudio....

I know that it is rare on this forum for questions regarding servicing advice wrt items like televisions to arise, but on the other hand all sorts of advices are given regarding 240V wiring, and on the face of it, this is equally dangerous and similar precautions

And we can not forgot that some SE valve amplifiers work with 1.000 volts in the HT suplly...and 500 volts is comum in tube amplifiers...
From some posts i reach the conclusion that many people don't have a minimum of knowlage of electronic theory...
This two conditions together may become a hazardous cocktail...:att'n:

Its the same virus of ridiculous behavior the mods have shown at the peace thread and others. It was a bad mistake to install this moderating thing. No we have aome kind of goverment that annoys us. How to get rid of this ?

What is playing around with a TV else than diyvideo??? Since i do this audio stuff i followed the advice to buy a scope - ok - now they are two, one is defect and i play around in the inside of it. It has 24kV. If i die because of this its only my problem - and is not related to anyone in this board.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Demoracy is the worst form of goverment except for all the others.

No we have aome kind of goverment that annoys us. How to get rid of this ?

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were advocating a regime change.........

Like in any society, rules exist and need people to enforce them. I think the moderators are remarkable even handed, considering the stuff some of the forum members try to get away with........

Hmm,seems to me rather than just closing down threads making
inquiries into the 'subject':rolleyes: something a Little more
reasoned my be required.
The main inspiration of my closed thread was wishing to understand more about why another thread was closed!
I wished to Learn about the subject in question.

I personally have no interest in working on CRTs But now understand a little more about the hazards involved in doing so.
I merely asked about the voltages inside not how to modify
anything.
The content of the replies seemed to be warnings and information related
to voltage risks /fire etc.

Perhaps a 'hazards of... ' thread would provide a more informed
way of discouraging work on potentially dangerous devices.
And encourage good working practices in general.

Then again one could always set a thread voltage limit ;) anything below =OK anything above =Banned!;)

Anyway Diyaudio.com is great
:D :D

Cheers:drink: :drink: :drink:

Setmenu

Jason said:

pml

...and no, i don't really want my *** sued for providing a well intentioned (presently) non-profit service to the community.

Exactly. It's easy to criticize other people's choices when you're not the one at the wrong end of a lawyer.

And a serious question- I've started work on a HV amp design, direct drive for ESLs, with 7 or 8kV as the plate supply. Would you (the "corporate" you) rather I didn't talk about it or post info on WIP or schematics?

SY said:

Exactly. It's easy to criticize other people's choices when you're not the one at the wrong end of a lawyer.

And a serious question- I've started work on a HV amp design, direct drive for ESLs, with 7 or 8kV as the plate supply. Would you (the "corporate" you) rather I didn't talk about it or post info on WIP or schematics?
The difference is surely, that it's unlikely that someone inexperienced would try the direct-drive ESL project, whereas (almost) everyone has a TV.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Better Biomed than dead

"Then again one could always set a thread voltage limit"

On one one my Biomedical Electronics exams was the following question:

"A man is working on a car with a 12V electrical system. The car is not running and the man has cut both hands working. Is he in danger?

The answer is YES. When you break the skin the blood stream is pretty conductive, in range of several hundred ohms as I remember. 12 volts arcross this resistance (and across a path containing your heart) is enough current to fibrilate you heart and stop it. I urge insulation, dry skin and work surfaces, and one hand only in the circuits. I have had a run in with an electrostatic speaker that was unplugged for several days and several tube amps. I am still here to talk about it but they were painful and alarming experiences. Sometimes the people who know the most about something are the most careless concerning that subject. I wonder if the reason I haven't killed myself is along the lines of the following:

"You can't drown a man who was born to hang."

-Mark Twain

Er ,Has anyone considered wearing protective gloves when
risks of dangerous voltages are present?:idea:
I hear talk of 'one hand behind back etc'[all sound advice]
but no mention of protective gear.

Or is this more like firearms safety protocols :
Condition safe behavior rather than trust to safety mechanisms.
Such a philosophy is something I am familiar with being a sporting
shooter myself.

Obviously there are plenty of old hands here but there are also
those who are new to the game[myself included here] who may
be brimming with enthusiasm and little else.
As with firearms some mistakes only need to happen once:RIP:

Setmenu

I guess I don't consider gloves that much protection due to my RF experiance. At high frequencies the couple of hundred pF of a human might as well be a dead short.

Worst shock I ever got was when I impaled myself on a wisker of wire sticking out of a very inexpertly done soldering job. That wisker of wire punctured my thumb and I was sure that was it, it's all over for me. That was with 24 VDC.

The keep one hand in your pocket (of grab your belt when seated) rule for working on energised equipment works because it keeps your heart out of the current path.

I once saw a man get his arm across 3-phase 408 VAC. He lived, probably because the ground connection was through the end of his steel-toed shoe. Got the back of his arm and his big toe burnt pretty badly in the process. Didn't do the shoe much good either.

Phil

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
SY said:

I would ask that you post comprehensive safety and warning information wherever appropriate, remembering that a google surfer could enter the thread at any page.

I'm not sure what the moderator team's stance is on this - but their word is final, and I know they have our best interests at heart.

Maybe make a hack for the boards that checks the referrer (most browsers do send the referrer these days) and if it is from an external source it will display a warning page. They then click the link to view the thread after reading a disclaimer and of course, the referrer will be that page, which is located on this server thus it will give them the thread stuffs that they were out to seek.

Also perhaps including it in the disclaimer if there already isn't one (I never read those darned things hehe) and one when signing up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.