Need device to stop dog barking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just repaired the fuel-rods cadmium arsenic lining and will be departing this planet shortly. If you could give me the coordinates of the owner, I'd be happy to align a tractor beam on them while we launch into orbit. (The dog is not the issue).

best wishes,

xtorgedahk

(kidding aside, as obtrusive as dog's barking can be, (I've lived next to many loudly unhappy dogs), you have to ask yourself if you really want to pile on some more stimuli, in their already miserable life, to "shut them up". Lifeforms are lifeforms--they yell about anything and nothing at all, but you need to accept, on some level, you're contributing to more misery in that dogs life if you choose to deal with the situation by using sound waves.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like dogs. I like cats. It's really an environmental issue, the owner is not dealing with the animal. God, I hate suffering in this life, but you really need to ask yourself if you want to do this. If you choose to do it, you lost twice--you diminshed yourself by coercing control over a "stupid" animal, and willfully caused an animal distress....talk to the owner, other neighbors, call the cops, are other possibilites.

(note to self: don't read forums when depressed)

I had a problem with my dog jumping on me every time I came in the house so I charged up a electrolytic capacitor to 500 volts and nailed the SOB on the end of his nose the next time he jumped on me. He quit jumping after receiving 4 shots to his wet nose. This might work for the barking problem also. All I have to do now is mention the word capacitor and he is laying down.:devilr:

My last two dogs where of a type that NEVER bark. Both barked maybe ...uh...3 times in their entire lives. That's 3 individual barks.

God thing too. I can't stand dogs that bark.

Anyway, one must understand that the dog is barking because it's loosing it's mind....and is trying not to.

I had a dork that barked once too many times...I ran out of the house, naked at -20 degrees and beat the bejeesus out of him, yelling at the top of my lungs: Stop it you f.....r.

After that all I had to do was to open the window and yell once.
The fear was seated deep in his heart.

Dogs are pack animals, and you have to show him who is leader. Owners who are unable to do this and treat their dogs like cuddly pets instead of an animal do themselves and their canine partner no favour.
Treating him rough in the process is necessary to establish the ground rules of the relationship - or the dog becomes boss; dog owning is not a democratic process.

Alternatively - a .22 comes handy sometimes.

Anyway, one must understand that the dog is barking because it's loosing it's mind....and is trying not to.

Hey, humans do that too... Under extreme circumstances, at least. Experience is a good teacher here. Losing your mind is not a pleasant experience. I would agree that increasing the dog's pain is not a nice or worthwhile solution here. It will shut the dog up but once the dog gets desperate, it may become violent. Causing the dog pain will only bring it closer to the edge...

I would not want to harm the dog. Even sound is painful at high levels. Friendliness is the nice solution here, perhaps with some doggie treats as suggested before.

About using the soundcard, be sure it supports sample rates in high enough frequency. Most sound blasters go up to 92KHz.

Also, remember the young ones. I'm fourteen and I can sense ultrasound frequencies (I can detect their presence, though I can't really 'hear' them). Even if you can't hear something, it doesn't mean it's not doing you harm.

- keantoken

Thanks for everyone's responses to my inquiry. I am still thinking this over. Used other methods to communicate with the dog owner. Maybe he got the idea, because everything is quiet. At least for right now. I don't believe in harming pets. But I have no problem with training it not to bark also.

I'll wait and see.

Ever considered that your home is intrudeing on te dear's natural habitat?

Yes, but does the deer have any proof of ownership? Did it apply for title? Did it get legal representation? If a deer wants rights - where is his obligation not to intrude on my garden when I have 75 acres untouched land around wher it is permitted to freely graze?

And fences - I entertain about up to ten deer each year in my harvested garden - no problem there, but any deer can jump a five foot fence, so the odd one harvests lettuce.

lol, go plant some lettuce in the forrest... to erm... distract them...

On a more serious note, haveing lived in a city for the past 12 years, I feel the emptiness left by the natural environment I grew up in, the sound of birds, the smell of nature.

In the city I can hardly notice the passage of seasons (too few trees/ alien evergreen ).

It is the kind of loss you don't realise untill it happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.