Compression of water (split from Waveguides)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MJL21193 said:

I think not. Molecular movement will decrease density.

You're only looking at one side of the motion. Its action/re-action...in action. If I have A|||B|||C, then introduce an action such that /A||B|||C occurs, I have locally increased the density of A and B (not affecting C). However A and B would rather be ||| apart, so this occurs next: /A|||B||C (because B has some inertia). But B and C want to be ||| apart, so it becomes: /A|||B|||C and everybody has moved forward by '/'. It is the speed that the || becomes ||| that dictates how quickly speed will move through the substance.

MJL21193 said:
Feel the heat from your refrigerators compressor and condenser lately?

But when was your last cold beer, milk, ice cube...Its about where you observe and what you relate your observation to.

MJL21193 said:
Depending on temperature, molecules are always in motion. As temperature goes up, density goes down, as does the speed which sound will move through it.

Waitaminute, which way did speed go? Up or down, your statement is ambiguous.

To comment anyway: You should see the speed go down, not strictly because density went down but because compressibility increases with temperature. Increased compressibility translates to a reduced desire to resist a change and consequently slow the propagation of the pressure wave.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Daveze said:

Experiment: Take a beer bottle. Consume beer. Refill with water to the brim. Hold filled bottle by neck. Take palm. Slap top of bottle in forceful manner. Watch your feet. Seek medical attention if required. Review your super high speed camera and observe the time that it takes between the slapping and the shattering. That time is the speed that the pressure wave propagates through the fluid. That speed is the speed of sound in water.

But this only proves my point - simple hydraulics, transfer of energy from the bigger piston (the bottles end) and the smaller piston (the cap). Mechanical advantage, that's what hydraulics are about. Using the relative incompressibility of a fluid.
When you fill something completely with water, for sound transmission purposes, it behaves like a solid. The container that holds the water and the water inside will conduct sound - no compression. Just like a solid hunk of steel.

MJL21193 said:

But this only proves my point - simple hydraulics, transfer of energy from the bigger piston (the bottles end) and the smaller piston (the cap). Mechanical advantage, that's what hydraulics are about. Using the relative incompressibility of a fluid.
When you fill something completely with water, for sound transmission purposes, it behaves like a solid. The container that holds the water and the water inside will conduct sound - no compression. Just like a solid hunk of steel.

But it doesn't. Even solids don't act as solids. It will take a finite period of time for the bottle to break at the bottom after you break it at the top. Even a photon will take a finite period of time to travel the distance from the top of the bottle to the bottom. To say that the liquid is completely incompressible, and will hence translate the force instantaneously, is in defiance of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

Actually water is a very naughty substance, it expands both below 4ºC and above 4ºC having a maximum density point at that temperature. It's not a linear medium, it's likely to distort sound (like air but worse).

If you want to read on water anormalities (I strongly recommend you to read this):
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/explan2.html

Anyway, since you have agreed that water volume changes with themperature (across the liquid phase), you have already agreed that water may be compressed and expanded (by changing temperature).

Indeed, when sound propagates through water, the resulting compressed and the expanded zones are likely to have different temperatures (as it happens with air).

Eva said:
Actually water is a very naughty substance, it expands both below 4ºC and above 4ºC having a maximum density point at that temperature. It's not a linear medium, it's likely to distort sound (like air but worse).

Naughty naughty water. I think a substance has been misbehaving, needs to be given a thorough spanking and should think about what its done wrong...

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Daveze said:

is in defiance of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

Invoking Einstein, eh?

Eva said:

Anyway, since you have agreed that water volume changes with themperature (across the liquid phase), you have already agreed that water may be compressed and expanded (by changing temperature).

What is waters natural state? Liquid, is it not? Water that has been heated to the boiling point does not compress back to water, it condenses. To do this it's temperature needs to drop. Not outside force is needed, therefore no compression.

More grade school oversimplification, I'm sure.

MJL21193 said:
What is waters natural state? Liquid, is it not?

That depends entirely on it's environment.

MJL21193 said:
Water that has been heated to the boiling point does not compress back to water, it condenses. To do this it's temperature needs to drop. Not outside force is needed, therefore no compression.

Compressing a substance increases its temperature (adding energy), and thus cooling a substance can lead to contraction (removing energy). So you can compress a substance by cooling.

MJL21193 said:

Your favorite, cozy cozy world. It helps you feel safe.

MJL21193 said:

Invoking Einstein, eh?

Yes.

MJL21193 said:
What is waters natural state? Liquid, is it not? Water that has been heated to the boiling point does not compress back to water, it condenses. To do this it's temperature needs to drop. Not outside force is needed, therefore no compression.

Yes, more grade school oversimplification. A method of teaching things is to simplify things such that they are palatable to a mind at its state of maturity, then gradually un-simplify things as the mind's understanding matures.

Example: Gravity
Primary school: Gravity holds you to the ground.
Early high school physics: Gravity is the acceleration that the Earth imposes on other objects = ~10 or 9.81m/s^2
Later physics: Gravity is an interaction between two bodies with mass. The magnitude given by G(m1+m2)/r^2.
Cutting edge physics: Gravity has something to with a theoretical particle that I don't come close to understand.

Water does not have a 'natural state'. What it (and all other substances) does is have a state/s according to a set of conditions: Temp and Pressure.

AndrewT said:
no, water expands either side of 4degC.
Ice contracts as the temperature is lowered.

It's this expansion below 4degC that allows the aquatic life to survive.
A clever trick of nature that enabled colonisation of the Earth.

And if this very unique characteristic of water did not occur, life would not exist on the earth. Ice would sink when frozen and eventually all of the water would turn into ice thus killing off the evolving species. Its the ice layer that insults the water below. This has always amazed me as truely "an act of God".

MJL21193 said:
Water that has been heated to the boiling point does not compress back to water, it condenses. To do this it's temperature needs to drop. Not outside force is needed, therefore no compression.
no,
compress the steam and it turns back to water at the same temperature and releases the latent heat of vapourisation.
Change the pressure and water "boils" at different temperatures.
and the reverse, changes back to the liquid state if compressed.

water is compressible.

and you can trade pressure for temperature just like with a gas.

that's why when you go camping in the mountains, your pasta takes longer to cook--water boils at a lower temperature due to the lower atmospheric pressure so you're boiling with less heat.

if you compress water enough, it'll solidify. or if you can't do that, just lower the temperature.

the compression is VERY SMALL. same in other solids. just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

sound also travels through steel for the same reason. minute rarefactions and compressions through the material.

the compression of a solid doesn't have to be at a constant temperature. there's no constraint that says it must. when you play music in a pool, the temperature changes as the compression waves travel through it. those changes are also very small and quickly diffuse into the large thermal sink.

Here's some more detail on my comment in the other thread. A quote from a nasa page if you like your science hard:

Sea levels crept up about 20 centimeters during the twentieth century. Most of the rise happened because water expands as it warms, though melting mountain glaciers also contributed to the change.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Library/GlobalWarmingUpdate/global_warming_update6.html

Notice the clear differentiation between adding water from glaciers (RIP) and expansion of existing water due to increasing global temperatures.

John, you proposed another inapt (DC) analogy instead of answering my point. There are two ways of defining compression and, as I explained, the peaks of any acoustic wave satisfy both of them. You need to show how the First Law doesn't apply, remembering that for every compression, there's a rarefaction.

Hi,

No material is incompressible - that should be obvious.

Compressibility

The compressibility of water is a function of pressure and temperature.
At 0 °C in the limit of zero pressure the compressibility is 5.1×10-5 bar−1.
In the zero pressure limit the compressibility reaches a minimum
of 4.4×10-5 bar−1 around 45 °C before increasing again with
increasing temperature.
As the pressure is increased the compressibility decreases,
being 3.9×10-5 bar−1 at 0 °C and 1000 bar.
The low compressibility of non-gases, and of water in particular,
leads to them often being assumed as incompressible.
The low compressibility of water means that even in the deep
oceans at 4000 m depth, where pressures are 4×107 Pa,
there is only a 1.8% decrease in volume.

Density and the stiffness determine the speed of sound in water,
this propogation must include elastic compression / rarefaction.
(~1.5km/s - which implies for the density - very stiff.)

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting discussion.

I'm with SY on this one. Some people can't tell the ACs from the DCs. :p

I can certainly see MJL's point though. Water doesn't compress, for general practicle purposes. It's easy to get more air into a certain volume, like a car tire, a scuba tank, a V8 engine. Stuffing more water into the same those spaces would be a lot harder.....

But on a local scale, there can be compression - such as in a sound wave. There has to be rarification too, so the sum is no overall compression of the liquid water.

In hydrodynamics and fluid dynamics (DC) water is assumed to be incompressible because its changes through compression are miniscule compared to the other effects. But in acoustics (AC) one cannot make this simplification because it would mean that sound could not propagate. The two fields of study are almost always completely uncoupled from each other and results from one are usually not applicable to the other. It is precisely the incompressible assumption that accounts for this.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
MartinQ said:

That depends entirely on it's environment.

Compressing a substance increases its temperature (adding energy), and thus cooling a substance can lead to contraction (removing energy). So you can compress a substance by cooling.

Nearly 4 hours in the dentists chair and I have to come back to this?:rolleyes: She's a pretty 27 year old though, and it was well worth the pain, irritation and fiscal hardship. :up:
Bad news boys, she agreed with me. :)

The environment? Here on planet Earth? Water is in a liquid state that covers 71% of the Earths surface, that would qualify as natural.
So, you can compress a substance by cooling. I said that already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.