Compression of water (split from Waveguides)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cheers John, I rather enjoyed the thread, it certainly gave me the impetus to dig deeper into my texts. I learned from the thread as well, and for that I am thankful.

There is a field known as thermoacoustics which may pique your interest. As the name implies, it is the study of the relationships between sound and heat. These include the study of sound produced by heat, energy transportation by acoustic propagation, and the conversion of heat to electricity using acoustics. It is a developing field, and new types of refrigerators have been developed using applications of thermoacoustics which are significantly more efficient than standard compressor driven refrigeration systems.

If you are considering purchasing a book on acoustics, may I recommend the following:

"Acoustical Engineering"
by Harry F. Olson
This a classic acoustics reference text. It is very approachable and contains hundreds of illustrations.
http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/bkpa1.htm

"Fundamentals of Acoustics"
by Kinsler and Frey
The second edition (1962) is extremely affordable and is preferred by some over the later editions. My edition (4th) is very math heavy and you will need to brush up on your differential equations to follow even the first chapter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1_olp_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221236478&sr=8-3

Regards,
David

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
gtforme00 said:
Cheers John, I rather enjoyed the thread, it certainly gave me the impetus to dig deeper into my texts. I learned from the thread as well, and for that I am thankful.

Hi David,
Glad to provide some motivation and, as a side benefit, some entertainment at my own expense. :eek:

Thanks for the references, and I'll likely have a look down the road but for now there has been too much time devoted to this, so I'll take a break from my "studies".
Some project cooking that I need to focus on.

I'm more of a doer than a thinker anyway.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.