Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2008, 12:59 AM   #111
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Press on,almighty

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater

If it looks like a troll, I guess.

That seems to be what you are doing here. You haven't made a worthwhile contribution, just flames.

I'm not saying anything that outside the realm of possibility.
Take the time to read my post #107 and like I said, keep an open mind and try to understand what it is I'm saying.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:19 AM   #112
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Sound waves make molecules vibrate. I didn't think I'd need to prove that too.
Well, I'd better tear up my dissertation in anticipation of this proof. And burn my copy of Herzberg. Please, explain this one to me, I've apparently been deluded when I analyzed molecular vibration spectra in the IR.

OK, I have the popcorn. The floor is all yours, Professor.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:25 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

Well, I'd better tear up my dissertation in anticipation of this proof. And burn my copy of Herzberg. Please, explain this one to me, I've apparently been deluded when I analyzed molecular vibration spectra in the IR.

OK, I have the popcorn. The floor is all yours, Professor.

You are kidding, right? What is vibrating in the air around you when you speak? Dust?

We'll really need to go back to the basics here, I can see that.

EDIT: To avoid confusion, the vibration I was (obviously) talking about is the molecules themselves, not the atoms within the molecules.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:28 AM   #114
GK is offline GK  Australia

I still think that the compressibility of Oluchiís boobs is a more interesting topic. I might look up the Village People Fan Club forum. Probably have more luck sparking a discussion in this topic over there.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:31 AM   #115

Hi Glen,
More of a leg man, myself, but thanks for the diversion.

Old 28th July 2008, 01:31 AM   #116
diyAudio Moderator

That's been answered about a hundred times already. "I can give you an answer, I cannot give you an understanding."

So please, tell me about the molecules and their vibrations.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:34 AM   #117
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
To avoid confusion, the vibration I was (obviously) talking about is the molecules themselves, not the atoms within the molecules.
OK, what's the wavelength of a 1kHz wave in bulk water? How many molecules are in that distance?
Old 28th July 2008, 01:38 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

So please, tell me about the molecules and their vibrations.
So you are saying what? that molecules don't move? That's very interesting. I could have sworn that was something else I learned in grade school.
Damn school system, filling my mind with nonsense.

Let's hear your version of how energy is transfered through a medium?
Old 28th July 2008, 01:45 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

OK, what's the wavelength of a 1kHz wave in bulk water? How many molecules are in that distance?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I don't know. Same answer for the number of molecules in a given distance.

Sy, did you actually read my post #107? I'm not trying to be petulant here, but you are not commenting on what I have said.
Old 28th July 2008, 02:03 AM   #120

Now for something completely different. A demonstration of brute force requirement to accomplish a selected task (yes, compression )

Try this little experiment:
Fill a bottle with a small mouth (say a wine bottle) with water about a half inch from the top. Insert a cork into the bottle until it starts to push the water up, pushing the air out. Keep pushing until the cork is firmly in the neck of the bottle, with a good seal around. Try to push the cork in some more. Use as much force as you dare. You will not be able to push the cork in any further. What you are trying to do is compress the water, and you cannot produce enough force to do this.

Now, remove the cork and empty the bottle into a drinking glass. Put the cork into the water. Take note of how much force is needed to push the cork fully into the water. What? Not much? The only real resistance in this case is the buoyancy of the cork. When you put the cork in the water, it displaces the equivalent amount of water.

This is the difference between the amount of force required to compress something as opposed to displacing it.

Hide this!Advertise here!