Things to see in San Francisco?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm going to SF this summer. Never been to the US before. Looking forward to it a lot.

What to see in SF? I'm going with my GF, - we are both 30yo.

Music? Bars? Concerts? Shops? Areas? (Fashion?, shoes? for GF).

Are there any electronics-shops in SF? Speaker-parts?

Could any of you recommend hotels in the city? Cheap, but not the lowest of the low...

I'm guessing that most American shops accept a VISA-card for payment?

Regards TroelsM

Depending on what you like, there's a long of great things on Haight St. (pronounced like hate). Amoeba is a gigantic CD/Record store in an old bowling alley. Haight St. also has a number of shops for your GF. If you like beer, there's Toronado with over 2 dozen taps (cash only, though).

About a 30 minute drive south of the city is HSC Electronics which has all kinds of parts and things.

What to see in SF? I'm going with my GF, - we are both 30yo.

Spending hundreds of millions and a couple years in rebuilding, Academy of Science is reopening.

http://www.calacademy.org/index.php

Music? Bars? Concerts? Shops? Areas? (Fashion?, shoes? for GF).

Live music at

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/1259

Probably the best food in any US cities.

All the major brands -- Versace, Armani etc have their own stores in San Francisco.

Are there any electronics-shops in SF? Speaker-parts?

Not that I am aware of

Could any of you recommend hotels in the city? Cheap, but not the lowest of the low...

Just use something like Priceline.com. You are probably looking at 50 - 100 Euros per night

I'm guessing that most American shops accept a VISA-card for payment?

Yes. All major credit cards -- Visa, MasterCard

Here's a few general 'sightseeing' places,if you get the chance..
The Coit tower is kinda interesting.
Alcatraz would be interesting,but I've never managed to make the tour,dunno if they even do it anymore?
The wharf is cool(Fishermans Wharf ?),lots of seafood to eat! IIRC there are a couple of old boats you can check out..
Ghirardelli chocolate,need I say more?:lickface:
The trolleys are cool too.
The bridge,of course! IIRC under one end there is an old military base/museum? or something.
I haven't been down that way for a while.

Ohh,and if you can,Get a look at a Redwood tree!! They're BIG mo-fo's! :bigeyes:

Enjoy yourself.

SF is very walkable (although it is built on hills), and there is a public transport infrastructure.

For hotels use priceline.com, kayak.com, hotels.com hotwire.com for prices an use tripadvisor.com to see what people staying at the same hotel have said.

SF seems to have two worlds that crossover - the tourist part, and the locals part.

When we have visitors and play tourist, things on the itinerary include.

Fishermans Warf (very touristy - most locals wouldn't be seen dead there)
Coit Tower.
Trip on The cable cars - and the cable car museum.
Restored F Line Trams.
The Ferry Building - has a farmers market at the weekend, and lots of Foodie stores and restaurants.

Shopping = Union Square, The Apple Store + The new Westfield Shopping mall - with a destination food court downstairs.

Food - spoilt for choice - check out chowhound.com
Bars + Live Music - plenty of choice here. Yelp.com has peoples reviews.

The Sights - Some world class sights
The Golden Gate Bridge - walk or bike across it and see the view of the city from Vista point on the far side.
Hire a bike from blazingsaddles.com, take the ferry to Sausalito or Tiburon for a great view + food.
The View from twin peaks is great if you can get up there.

Golden Gate Park - complete with museums, conservatory of flowers, and Ocean Beach and The Beach Chalet for food at the end.

Muir Woods is where the Redwood Trees are.
The View from the top of Mount Tamalpais is impressive.
I think you'll run out of time before you run out of things to do, so read up, research and enjoy yourself.

You could do worse that to pick up a copy of The Rough Guide or The Lonely Planet guide books. Your library may have a copy.

Hi again.

First week in SF is over and time is flying! Sooo much to see.

Things are much cheaper than in Denmark and that makes me ask: Are there any big hardware stores in central Sf that sells cordless powertools?

Any ideas as to whether I can take a battery-drill on a plane? Is it legal to travel with?

Thanks for the hints.

Regards TroelsM

Hi

Thanks for all the replys.

I'm looking at a Makita 6337DWDE (14.4V) that's 199$ at Coles Hardware (Seems to be big in SF?).

Two things bother me:

1) Im guessing that there's no warranty in Denmark when the tool is bought in US? Does Makita have a real worldwide warranty? I was warned that DIY-imported tools are treated as "grey marked" and therefore, no warranty.

2) The web-info I can find suggest that the Makita is sold with a charger that accepts both 110 and 230V. The case it self is marked with "120V" label.... Any Hints?

Regards TroelsM

Cole is cool hardware store, particularly the one on 4th Street. Just check the charger when you are in store and see what is written. If there is no switch than it should say 120V - 240V. That would mean that is self adjustable for any voltage in that range. I doubt they will advertise or mark dual voltage here.
For the rest of us here, when someone states that SF is inexpensive, I would say the times are real bad here. :)

AR2 said:

For the rest of us here, when someone states that SF is inexpensive, I would say the times are real bad here. :)

You forget the exchange rate. It's 2:1 to the pound!! That's a good discount if I remember rightly.

Troels:
I think if you pack it in your checked luggage you'll be fine. Don't hide any batteries in your shoes
:dead: :dead: :dead:

and if you're still here:
Yoshi's for really good jazz!

AR2: I re-read - you say things are bad HERE. Yes, I'm afraid I agree.

I'm back in Denmark after a perfect holiday in SF.

What a great place! Nice and friendly people, great food and some crazy hills.

Took a couple of hundred pictures. Including a few that might just interest you guys :)

Attachments

• sfspeaker1.jpg
    sfspeaker1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.