Trashed moving coil Multi-meter????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I had a moving coil multi-meter when switched to the 1x range for measuring resistor, there is a voltage of about 2v at the probes, does it mean it's no good ?

How I find out :
I was testing a speaker protection circuit where the speaker is grounded before the circuit is switched on. It also had a cut off protection whenere there is a DC voltage of over 1.5v appears at the speaker output of the amp. So I clamp the 2 probes at the amp. and speaker. terminals and start throwing the power switch but of course the relay never close becase there is a DC voltage supplied by the meter!!!!! I was lucky enough that during my repeat trails that I forget to probe the terminals and the indicateing leds turn on and when I probe the terminals again, the relays didn't close anymore. Thats when I suspect that there is something going on with my MC meter and measure the probes with another DVMM and find out the problem.

So is my MC multi-meter still usable? The only ocassion that I think it got trashed is that I once had it measure some current (ammeter@250mA fill scale) and the coil swing all the way to full deflection.

Tks for your input.

I had a moving coil multi-meter when switched to the 1x range for measuring resistor, there is a voltage of about 2v at the probes, does it mean it's no good ?
it needs to apply some voltage to measure resistance.
I don't think there is a recommended voltage.
As long it measures resistance and other things correctly, there is no need to trash it.
regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.