Defferent musics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2003, 10:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Defferent musics

Hi everybody.
Is music preference importent to be an audiophile person?
Let's say I like hard rock and right heavy metal and I am into hi-fi.
What do you think?
Hamlet
Old 17th March 2003, 10:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I like punk rock and industrial and it doesn't prevent me from being into hi-fi as well;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pu.jpg (27.2 KB, 168 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 17th March 2003, 11:37 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

All that an "audiophile" means is a person who takes a great amount of care selecting his components, and who can hear real differences between different brands of amps, speakers, etc.

You do not have to like one type of music to be able to do that.

However, what type of music you prefer will have an effect on what types of equipment sounds good to you.

There is a theory that symphonic music is the true test of an audiophile, since the placement of the various instruments is known and exactly how each instrument is supposed to sound is known.

In electronically amplified music, and even more so electronically generated music, the sound is wholly decided by the musician and engineer. What is a computer generated rhythm track supposed to actually sound like, objectively? You cannot tell-you can only tell if you like the sound of it on that track.

An acoustic bass, however, has a sound that everyone who has ever heard one knows. There, you can tell if it sounds like the original or not.

Symphonic purists notwithstanding, most people feel that good equipment speaks for itself regardless of what type of music is put through it.
Old 17th March 2003, 11:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard

Symphonic purists notwithstanding, most people feel that good equipment speaks for itself regardless of what type of music is put through it.
I tend to agree with that. When my system is tuned properly, any kind of music sounds good. The opinion that a given system is good only for certain type of music is an excuse for a system's deficiency.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 18th March 2003, 06:15 AM   #5
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I like dance music, house and break beats mainly, psychedelic trance is cool.

Also downbeat stuff like Thievery Corp and jazz and so on.

Electronic music is fantastic. There are so many different varieties, and completely random sounds and songs. It is very underground, a lot of stuff you can't buy anywhere (you have to know where to get it)

Not much of a classical fan.

Rock has mainly become a stale, cliched genre (Rolling Stones anyone? I mean retire already!) and top 40 is pure hell: The recording industry has a lot to asnwer for
Old 18th March 2003, 06:22 AM   #6
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
honestly, some of the most interesting sounds ive heard from speakers has been from bands like KMFDM, marilyn manson, and the like.

also, put on aphex twin or squarepusher to really see if your system has 20hz-20Khz capability :-)

every-so-often ill play classical, but for the most part, i have all sorts of "real" mainstream music cranking through it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I like punk rock and industrial and it doesn't prevent me from being into hi-fi as well;-)
Old 18th March 2003, 09:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I see very interesting responses for music and I agree with everyone and I just wanted to know defferent opinions about this because we have some people that they think hi-fi equipments are just good for jazz and classical which is wrong and even sometimes I am thinking to add a moving coil turntable to my system but when I look all over I cannot find my favorite music on LP and majority of them are jazz and classic. I like stuff like pink floyd,camel,eloy and almost heavy stuff like deep purple,accept,motorhead and...ect.
Another thing, I do not miss any Hi-Fi show and every time I go to any of them, they do not even let you finish the whole song in demo stuff and they try them with a short music that they try it before.I think this is the lack of real hi-fi equipment in this days with all thoes high prices that they ask for and sound is not good with all kinds of music.
I will be in hi-fi show in montreal by end of the month.
Will anyone be there?
Hamlet
Old 31st March 2003, 10:30 AM   #8
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Hilarity ensues

This is one of the funniest things ever:

Read and laugh! I hear track 6 is particularly good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...8&Go.y=7&Go=Go
Old 31st March 2003, 10:42 AM   #9
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is one of the funniest things ever:

Read and laugh! I hear track 6 is particularly good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=8&Go.y=7&Go=Go
Thank you so much ShiFtY!
I really had a good laugh at this.
Please read the reviews as well.
My favourite :
Quote:
I have seen the light , March 18,2003
Reviewer: A music fan from Austin, TX United States
I can't believe that scarcely a week ago, I was living in ignorance. I was utterly deprived of life itself... but I didn't know.

Until "Looking For-Best of David Hasselhoff [IMPORT]" came along.

Now I feel like I finally understand the meaning of life, and know why I'm here on this planet. "Looking For-Best of David Hasselhoff [IMPORT]" isn't just an album, it's a life changing experience. I have moved on to a higher level of consciousness - a whole new astral plane, if you will.

Thank you, "Looking For-Best of David Hasselhoff [IMPORT]" - you changed my life.

The song "Hot Shot City" is particularly good.
You wont believe how much success Mr.Hasselhoff had here in germany with his "evergreen" "Ive been looking for freedom".
We have a big so called "Schlager"-Szene here which is some of the most disgusting stuff ever and David comes quite near.

Jens

Jens - Has been looking for freedom as well and thinks the germans mainly have a bad music taste
Old 31st March 2003, 10:49 AM   #10
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ups, whilst laughing I forgot about the actual topic.
I listen to quite a lot rock music from the 70s up to now.
Especially the older stuff tends to have bad recordings but that of course wont hold me up from listening to it.
If it would Id be an ignorant or just a "sound-lover"!?
Of course I enjoy music that is good AND well recorded somehow more or sometimes think "What a pity the recording is so bad".

Just compare Aretha Franklin (THE voice) and Norah Jones.
Both are heavily hairrasing for me but most of Arethas recordings arent comparable to the newer stuff from Norah Jones which is very hifidelic.

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!