"tick tick tick" through my speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I installed a dual 500k pot in my motorcycle dash as a volume control for a MP3 / amplified speaker setup. Now I hear "tick tick tick tick" through the speakers when the engine is running. I was using an audio cable from Radio Shack with gold connectors and didn't have any interference until I cut the cable and addded the pot. Any suggestions? Is there something I can cover the pot with to sheild it from electrical interference?

Tic tic tic...

I installed a dual 500k pot in my motorcycle dash as a volume control for a MP3 / amplified speaker setup

The volume pot has to high a value...then the maximal output impedance is to high (125 K Ohm) :bigeyes:

With this high impedance is easy to pick up noise...so change the pot to a log pot of 10K or 20K maximum...and the problem must disapear!

Regards

There might be a slight potential difference between the motorcycle frame and the pot metal case. This could cause any noise in the frame to capacitively couple to the resistance element of the pot, maybe. Try insulating the pot thread etc from the cycle frame, and in particular, earth the pot metal to the shielded wire braid, but *only* if the pot is isolated from the bike metal frame first, otherwise the problem may become worse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.