tweeters or piezoelectric for 22 kHz tone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings everyone. I managed to download some tones to tone down on my neighbor's incessantly barking dog. I was able to try a tone at 22kHz with my PC speakers pointed out my window and it cut down on the barking quite significantly.

Given that I'm playing the tone back on my laptop and through PC speakers, I'd like to increase the power of the tone.

I know nothing about audio, by the way. Can I just take apart an old stereo speaker by removing the sub, and midrange, leaving only the tweeters behind? If so, I'd like to hook this up to an amplifier. I'd like to also hook up my CD player to this amplifier with the wav file burnt on the CD, then have it on repeat the 6-7 hours this dog barks from morning until noon.

My new neighbor is a cop and he's not very diplomatic. I talked to him about this and his response was that at least the dog doesn't bark at night (which is true, I concede). So he doesn't do anything about it.

I'm a writer, however, and spend my day time hours writing, and the dachsund has a high pitch bark that is frankly affecting my life and concentration for the worse. The pc speakers appear to be doing the job. Will my alternative configuration be a better solution? I wanted to call Animal Control, but I hear they don't ever do anything about this.

Thank you in advance. Trent.

Hi Trent.

Its 2:30 AM here and I am in the same position as you. I am intending to record the yapping little darling and play it back through the wall at times I see as appropriate. She will come rolling in from the pub sooner or later, it's been going at it non stop since 10 AM yesterday, I am vibrating.

You have my full sympathy, and there may be some useful info in this thread for you.........

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96465&highlight=

John

go with a cheap piezohorn (from MCM or PartsExpress), you'll get high volume without too much power at 22kHz. Be careful with the drive level, though, since you can't hear that high, the risk of overdriving the speaker and/or amp and burning either up is pretty high. Start with driving at some frequency you can hear (maybe 6kHz) and set the level to a reasonable point, then move to 22kHz. You won't need even a watt of power. Remember that tweeters aren't designed to play continuous tones like that, so drive accordingly. It shouldn't take too much to make the dog quiet down.

And I'd hope you'd be nice, when he quiets down, turn off the tone until he gets noisy again, hopefully he'll start to notice the cause and effect. No reason to torture the animal because its owner is a jerk.

I have read many forum posts here and at other electronic forums where people have the idea that making some high frequency noise will make a dog stop barking. I am skeptical that a high frequency noise would do anything more than draw the dog's interest for a few minutes after which he would go back to barking like the idiot he/she is. In fact, I suspect that playing a high pitched noise is more likely to cause a dog to bark than to get them to stop.

If you had some high frequency source and were able to concentrate it into a steerable beam that would deliver an intensity sufficient to cause pain you might be able to train the dog to stop barking. Merely playing a high frequency sound is no different than banging on a trash can lid except that YOU don't have to hear it. I know of no dog that can resist barking at some novel sound such as someone banging on a trash can lid.

If you come up with something that works, and by that I mean for more than a few minutes, I'd like to hear about it.

I_F

Hi trent70,

I go conform with I_Fs opinion.

The point is that the dog won't really learn by just teasing him with 'high frequency energy'. The dog needs barely positive feedback right in the moment when he's calm for a few second. Then it would be necessary to feed him with a treat / titbit (don't know the best word for it - sorry, I'm not a native speaker, but what I mean is, as already mentioned, a positive feedback). Whenever he starts again barking you should tell him off and, if you like, with the addition of a loud noise - a short ultra-sonic sine burst with your piezos for instance - to give him some negative feedback. However this learning/teaching of the dog is a long procedure and will take at least days, if not weeks or month will pass by until the dog understood the message. The big point of all is, that the dog might learn that faster than the owner ;)
And since the owner is a cop I guess the dog is all day long home alone?! This doesn't make it better to get him tought the right lessons though.

Besides if you use ultra-sonic sounds be sure no human(!) babies are around and the piezos are not pointing in their direction. This could after all harm their ability to hear when they age because their 'tympanum' (eardrum) is capable of transfering these high frequency sound waves to the 'auris interna' (inner ear) and do some damage there. It is proofen that they sometimes could hear even beyond 24 kHz. This will dramatically drop with age and listening habits (loud music over headphones and over long times, open air concerts and staying right besides/in front of the line arrays, bass boxes, etc., ...). For instance my -3dB point is at about 17kHz by now at my age (40+).

Conclusion:
The owner of the f... dog has to do something (change his way to interact with the dog) and you can just support him by going through the dog-teaching. If he's a cop he definately should know better then just being a jerk and doing nothing against the barking.
The last way to go would be poisoned baits - but that's definately not my recommendation. :nownow:

thank you for all your comments

Thank you friends for your comments. In any case, I_Forgot appears to be catergorically right about this. The barking appears to have subsided, but it isn't gone. The relatively minimized amount of barks is noticeable.

I think this is the case because my speakers are PC speakers and they only go so loud. So, even with them playing the 22 kHz loop (which is inaudible to us), at full PC speaker volume only when the dog gets to about 15 feet (5 meters) of my speakers does it realize not to bark. Beyond that it sill barks. In the past, it barked right up near my driveway. It may be learning to distance itself, but I'm no dog expert.

In any case, I just went ahead and ordered the Ultimate Dog Silencer Pro given that I've heard many positive reviews about it. This is really my last resort as I do not know what else to do about this. Thanks in advance. I'll be checking out some of the links you guys have introduced. Best wishes.

Trent.

Hi John and Mickje, I certainly will keep you all posted. I placed the order Saturday and paid for expedited shipping. According to the tracking number I should be getting it tomorrow.

Let me just say ahead of time I'm not sure if it will work, but I've blown $120.00 on more stupid things in my life. I live in a townhouse complex and my unit is across the unit with the barking pup. Both our garages face each other, separated by about 20+ feet. Our living spaces are above the garages.

In this part of Los Angeles, California, USA, some garages have at the bottom of the doors vents to air out fumes from cars. Each of these vents are about the size of standard shoe boxes. These vents are located at both ends of the garage door. When my cop neighbor leaves, he lets his dog run around inside the garage. Given the entire space is concrete, the high-pitched barks are amplified and flow through these vents and echo off the metal garage doors to the outside...right up my garage door into my office windows.

Fortunately at the bottom of my door are the same vents. It is at one of these vents that I will place the barking device. I have no idea whether the ultrasonic sound will flow through my garage door vents into his vents (remember, however, we're directly across from each other). Yeah I know this is complex and ridiculous, and people around the world are suffering much greater calamities. In any case, last I heard, other neighbors are complaining now so maybe the animal control folks will come out.

I'm just glad that at night I'm able to sleep 'cuz it's quiet. But I can't work in the daytime, which is not good for my employment. I will keep you all posted. Thank you all. Trent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.