Building a Portable 12v Stereo System (HELP) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2008, 06:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a Portable 12v Stereo System (HELP)

Hello everyone.

I am in the process of building a portable stereo system that will be hauled around softball complexes on a heavy duty hand wagon Example. I have gotten a Head unit, 210" subs, 2 6x9 speakers and a 4 channel amp to run it off of. THis will be powered by a Marine battery.

My issue is the building material. I know I should use MDF, but it will be entirely too heavy. This is not a true audiophile project, but I was thinking of doing a double stacked box design. One on bottom sealed for the subs, and one that opens on the top for all of the other equipment.

What could I build it out of that would work well enough but still be able to be lifted in and out of a truck and on and off of the cart?
Old 8th June 2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Why not make 2 boxes? one for the subs, one for the head unit, 6x9's, battery and amp. each box should be easy enough to pick up.

plus im not too sure how long the head unit's cd player will last if its in the same box as the subs (or on top of the subs)
Old 8th June 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Plywood? I use 3/4" for 14 cubic foot enclosures, for what it's worth. If you could make part of the box curved, you could get away with very thin plywood since the curve would stiffen it. Or, 3/8" or 1/2" plywood with 1/4" shelf braces. Consider Sonotube (or equivalent); that'll be very light weight, although the shape may be awkward.

I'd be inclined to use an efficient class-D amp, and efficient PA or musical instrument speakers. With 100 dB efficient speakers, a 15 watt amp will sound like 150 watts into a 90 dB efficient speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!