Building a Portable 12v Stereo System (HELP)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I am in the process of building a portable stereo system that will be hauled around softball complexes on a heavy duty hand wagon Example. I have gotten a Head unit, 210" subs, 2 6x9 speakers and a 4 channel amp to run it off of. THis will be powered by a Marine battery.

My issue is the building material. I know I should use MDF, but it will be entirely too heavy. This is not a true audiophile project, but I was thinking of doing a double stacked box design. One on bottom sealed for the subs, and one that opens on the top for all of the other equipment.

What could I build it out of that would work well enough but still be able to be lifted in and out of a truck and on and off of the cart?

Why not make 2 boxes? one for the subs, one for the head unit, 6x9's, battery and amp. each box should be easy enough to pick up.

plus im not too sure how long the head unit's cd player will last if its in the same box as the subs (or on top of the subs)

Plywood? I use 3/4" for 14 cubic foot enclosures, for what it's worth. If you could make part of the box curved, you could get away with very thin plywood since the curve would stiffen it. Or, 3/8" or 1/2" plywood with 1/4" shelf braces. Consider Sonotube (or equivalent); that'll be very light weight, although the shape may be awkward.

I'd be inclined to use an efficient class-D amp, and efficient PA or musical instrument speakers. With 100 dB efficient speakers, a 15 watt amp will sound like 150 watts into a 90 dB efficient speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.