A little help from friends in China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My avatar is my name in Chinese given to me by my art teacher. He told me it transliterates as roughly "wah sah gao" kind of my name last first, the fourth character sort of means "my mark". I put this on my business card and got some questioned looks. Any comments would be appriciated.

scott wurcer said:
My avatar is my name in Chinese given to me by my art teacher. He told me it transliterates as roughly "wah sah gao" kind of my name last first, the fourth character sort of means "my mark". I put this on my business card and got some questioned looks. Any comments would be appriciated.

Not good... :xeye:

Roughly translates into:

"You! big mother! Me, you in bed now for passion. I am the tiger!"

Just pulling your leg and yankin your chain!! ;)
He-he-he!

What is your heritage and profession really?

D

Re: Do worry be happy

chris ma said:
I wish I can find someone to make a seal for me in this ancient font style. You are very lucky that your teacher like you very much. It really sounds like Wucer Scott I think.

Best Regards

Believe it or not $4 right on the street in Beijing. If you are interested there is a guy harmonyunion@yahoo.com who will make you anything on a seal he even knows the ancient "bird" script.

Scott,

I can confirm that the translation as you described is correct and sounds close to your name in English. It is well translated, although it is the traditional way of translation which places emphasis on the accuracy of pronunciation.

The more modern way of name translation, as e.g. popular in Hong Kong, is that it sacrifices accuracy of pronunciation in lieu of "Chinese-ness"; i.e. a foreign name is so translated such that it resembles a true Chinese name, and as such a Chinese native speaker would not be able to tell from a Name Card that the owner is a non-Chinese.

And the seal is very well done indeed. Hope you like it too.

Cheers,
Patrick

PS I enjoy your "hobby circuits" a lot. Please do not stop posting them. If JC has a problem, I can only encourage you to open your new thread. I shall be your fan no. 1.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.