A little help from friends in China - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2008, 10:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A little help from friends in China

My avatar is my name in Chinese given to me by my art teacher. He told me it transliterates as roughly "wah sah gao" kind of my name last first, the fourth character sort of means "my mark". I put this on my business card and got some questioned looks. Any comments would be appriciated.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott.

Be very wary of anyone who gives you something written in a foreign tongue...........

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...s-revenge.html

A giant Winnie the Pooh on a mass murderer? I like the cut of that mans jib!

John
Old 3rd June 2008, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Do worry be happy

I wish I can find someone to make a seal for me in this ancient font style. You are very lucky that your teacher like you very much. It really sounds like Wucer Scott I think.

Best Regards
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: A little help from friends in China

Quote:
Originally posted by scott wurcer
My avatar is my name in Chinese given to me by my art teacher. He told me it transliterates as roughly "wah sah gao" kind of my name last first, the fourth character sort of means "my mark". I put this on my business card and got some questioned looks. Any comments would be appriciated.
Not good...

Roughly translates into:

"You! big mother! Me, you in bed now for passion. I am the tiger!"

Just pulling your leg and yankin your chain!!
He-he-he!

What is your heritage and profession really?

D
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Do worry be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma
I wish I can find someone to make a seal for me in this ancient font style. You are very lucky that your teacher like you very much. It really sounds like Wucer Scott I think.

Best Regards
Believe it or not $4 right on the street in Beijing. If you are interested there is a guy harmonyunion@yahoo.com who will make you anything on a seal he even knows the ancient "bird" script.
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Scott,

I can confirm that the translation as you described is correct and sounds close to your name in English. It is well translated, although it is the traditional way of translation which places emphasis on the accuracy of pronunciation.

The more modern way of name translation, as e.g. popular in Hong Kong, is that it sacrifices accuracy of pronunciation in lieu of "Chinese-ness"; i.e. a foreign name is so translated such that it resembles a true Chinese name, and as such a Chinese native speaker would not be able to tell from a Name Card that the owner is a non-Chinese.

And the seal is very well done indeed. Hope you like it too.

Cheers,
Patrick

PS I enjoy your "hobby circuits" a lot. Please do not stop posting them. If JC has a problem, I can only encourage you to open your new thread. I shall be your fan no. 1.

Old 3rd June 2008, 04:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, It is time to start onto new stuff, part of JC is still back in the 80's and will stay there.
Old 7th June 2008, 12:47 PM   #8
szboze is offline szboze  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to szboze Send a message via MSN to szboze Send a message via Yahoo to szboze
Default you have got a good name

I am chinese girl .

for your seal and your name , i think your name is good !

Hide this!Advertise here!