AutoCad to bmp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2003, 03:00 AM   #1
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default AutoCad to bmp

OK, I'll admit to being a total ignoramus when it comes to this computer stuff, so if you have ideas to help me, use nice, simple words, maybe at a 10-year-old level.

I've been struggling with ways to get schematics up on the BB and turned to AutoCad. I can draw stuff in AutoCad and make it more or less plot OK. However, when I export a drawing to .bmp format, the .bmp file shows a reasonable size (a couple hundred kbyte) but when I open the .bmp with another program like Paint or Fireworks, it displays blank. What am I doing wrong?

FWIW, I'm using (don't laugh) AC97, Windows 95.
Old 13th March 2003, 03:12 AM   #2
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
After pressing ok for the export file you must selct wath you want to export in the drawing.

You thus need to drag your mouse around the entire drawing.

And only then press enter.
Old 13th March 2003, 03:12 AM   #3
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

SY: This may not be a direct solution, but another way is to expand your AutoCad drawing on the screen as large as possible, then do a PrintScreen. Now open the Paint application, and do a Paste. Trim the edges (I use Cut - NewFile - Paste), and you should have a presentable BMP of your drawing. The filesize of the bmp will be large, but zipping it will bring the size way down, and you should be able to post the zip to DiyAudio with no problem. Use a graphics file format conversion application if you want a GIF.

Also, I suggest that you consider something like SIMetrix for drawing your schematics.

hope this helps, jonathan carr
Old 13th March 2003, 05:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks, guys! With your help, I got it.

I use Fireworks to convert and compress; that's an almost foolproof program, thus safe in my hands.
Old 17th March 2003, 02:11 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarr
but another way is to expand your AutoCad drawing on the screen as large as possible, then do a PrintScreen. Now open the Paint application, and do a Paste. Trim the edges (I use Cut - NewFile - Paste), and you should have a presentable BMP of your drawing. The filesize of the bmp will be large, but zipping it will bring the size way down, and you should be able to post the zip to DiyAudio with no problem. Use a graphics file format conversion application if you want a GIF.
This is essentially the technique i use for getting my drawings onto the web. Set the screen image to correspond to the right size, take a snap-shot (OS Xs postscript display does a great job), then open in Photoshop (you could just as easily use GraphicConverter or PhotoShop Elements* or any number of other raster editors) to crop it and save it out as the smallest possible gif.

For AutoCad drawings, i import them into VectorWorks and clean them up 1st)

*(if anyone is looking for a good raster editor this has to be the best value in raster editor for either Mac or PC)

dave
Old 17th March 2003, 02:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

OK, I know I'm gonna sound REALLY stupid, but I assume that to do a PrintScreen means to hit the PrintScreen key? If so, when I did that, exactly nothing happened. I hope I'm not like the driving student who, when instructed to parallel park, put the automatic transmission in "Park," then complained because the car wasn't parking.

Selecting before exporting worked OK, though there was a major resolution loss going to a bmp. The gif looked identical (Fireworks exports like a sane program should, the whole image), and was delightfully compact (like 5K or something). My first attempt is over at the "math" thread. It looks a little fuzzy compared to the original AutoCad image for sure.
Old 17th March 2003, 03:24 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
[B]OK, I know I'm gonna sound REALLY stupid, but I assume that to do a PrintScreen means to hit the PrintScreen key? If so, when I did that, exactly nothing happened.
On a PeeCee you may require a screen capture program (i don't do Windows so i'm not sure)

On a Mac command-shift-3 captures the entire screen(s), or command-shift-4 gives you a set of crosshairs so that you can select what you would like to capture.

dave
Old 17th March 2003, 03:41 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Hey SY,
I had the same problem. As a former Mac owner it also seemed to me that nthing happened when I hit the print screen key.
On the Mac a screen capture makes a cute "shutter snap sound"

On the PC it just noislessly captures the image, then when you select "paste" in the "edit" menu, pastes it into the current file that is active.

So , sorry p10, PC's actually do this rather well.

Mark-an ex mac owner who wishes those Autodesks jerks hadn't canceled unix Autocad just when the MAC OSX came along (which could have used the unix version with a tad of tweaking)
Old 17th March 2003, 03:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

I'm grateful to all the geeks bearing gifts. AutoCad is monstrously powerful (Drafting Dan, for other Heinlein fans) but user-hostile.
Old 17th March 2003, 04:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I'm grateful to all the geeks bearing gifts. AutoCad is monstrously powerful (Drafting Dan, for other Heinlein fans) but user-hostile.

i've stopped being surprised at the places i find heinlein fans.

by the way...another option for turning an autocad drawing into an image file is to 'plot to file' using the eps format. then convert the eps into whatever format you like, using your favorite image software. i believe this way you can preserve line weights, if you have them defined that is.

you could also use 'psout', or 'export' using eps format...but i'm not sure if it lets you 'window' the area you want to export.
in that case you'd have to crop the image when you go to convert it to bmp/gif/jpg.

/andrew - sometimes dreams in cad. it's scary when that happens.

Hide this!Advertise here!