Vinyl Records - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2008, 04:56 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

did comparison cd vs lp.
LP has bigger dynamic range (more bass. drums are louder than ones on a cd recording of the same album). no difference in quiet songs, except some background noise from LP.
When listening way off axis, or in another room, I prefer LP sound.
Old 9th June 2008, 05:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
did comparison cd vs lp.

Sharing this comparison is rather pointless if you don't detail the CD and LP players.
Old 9th June 2008, 06:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

sorry here it is: Audio Technica ATPL120 Pro DJ Turntable and sony cd player don't remember model (not es) with monica 2 dac.
I just thought it's not important which cd player it is. I've never been able to hear difference between cd players and dac's.
don't know about turntables though.
album is "Abbey Road"
Old 11th June 2008, 10:00 AM   #24
GAgola is offline GAgola  Kenya
diyAudio Member

With a recent chance purchase of a working cheapo Technics TT from a yard, I managed to return to vinyl a few months back, after thirty something years of tape, cd and mp3 etc. All around agreed that it was simply stunning! Complete with all the pops and clicks and other artefacts of the medium! Sadly, shortly thereafter, along comes the in-house "Dance 360" representative, aka Junior, as inquisitive/destructive as ever, who proceeds to perform a few scratch-master moves on the record carelessly left on the TT, and... Well, I am now in the hunt for replacement TP4 stylus for the TT. All said and done, I prefer the TT sound over that from the other "sources" in the house, and due to the general scarcity of TTs, both new and otherwise, I am tooling up for the eventual construction of my own localized version of the "Teres" TT... well a man can dream... Hopefully it will sound even better than the Technics...
Old 11th June 2008, 10:30 PM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GAgola
...a few scratch-master moves on the record...
My point exactly.

HD camcorders are moving to flash cards.

Flash cards are cheap, versatile and now offer more storage than a DVD in something small enough for a child or, with luck, even a teenager to choke on. The card will probably survive too.

What's not to like?

w
Old 18th June 2008, 09:41 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Aud1073cH
Default Why not both?

Ok, so why not both?

There is a German company that makes CD on one side, Vinyl on the other

They also have DVD/Vinyl discs.
Old 19th June 2008, 07:33 AM   #27
Banned

Default Re: Why not both?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aud1073cH
There is a German company...
And they say the Germans have no sense of humour...
Old 25th June 2008, 06:53 PM   #28
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

I've got a nice Technics 1200 here with a retro-fitted Rega RB300 arm, Ortofon Rondo and modified pitch and it sounds pretty good
Gareth
Old 26th June 2008, 12:50 PM   #29
GAgola is offline GAgola  Kenya
diyAudio Member

I am having a really terrible time trying to get replacement TP4 stylus(es) for my SLQD33, should I just go ahead an buy one of the many Ortofon OMP 5E, Grado Prestige Blue or Stanton L680EL cartridges available online?...

Would it be possible to retrofit a REGA arm onto a technics SLQD33? If yes, this would allow me to say goodbye to TP4, or at least open up alternatives, but would it be worth the investment in time/cash?...

Hide this!Advertise here!