Interconnects - heatshrink v Teflon tube v tape, gauge v length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Several of us here at the local Melbourne (Australia) Audio Club are soon doing Mark Houston's Silver RCA Interconnect Cables project.
http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/index.htm

Mark's "recipe" calls for 3 silver wires (0.7 mm = AWG 21, from jewellers supplies here, c US $4/ m) which are sheathed individually; then a larger outer overall wrap.
For ease of building, Mark uses heatshrink for all four sheaths.

I lean towards Teflon because of its dielectric advantage. I have only a basic underdstanding, but electrical signals are propagated on the surface of a conductor.

Would that advantage more likely come in the *individual wire sheaths, or the outer wrap?

I intended to keep one of the two layers as heatshrink, to exclude oxygen.

Someone just then suggested Teflon insulation tape.
Some DIY interconnect projects have used it, available at your friendly plumber suppliers.

That would of course directly contact the silver wire, vs Teflon tube which would have to be a bit bigger, to allow the wire to be threaded through. So Teflon tape would both exclude oxygen, and may/ should keep the dielectric advantage?

most ICs will be about 1 m. I'm also doing one longer IC - 4 m (c 12 feet) - for that should I use a larger gauge, eg 1 or 1.2 mm (AWG 17 or 18)?

Comments welcome.

Hi rabbitz

> Isn't air a good dielectric and better than teflon etc?

Yes indeed

> I know you are trying to prevent corrosion as well.

Yes again . . maybe it'd be better to use heatshrink on the 3 inner sheaths, and Teflon tube on the outer sheath? ;)

Thanks

Wikipedia says in summary

* Teflon-PTFE is a Polytetrafluoroethylene used in GoreTex and nonstick cookware.
* Teflon-PFA is a Perfluoroalkoxy used to make tubes.
* Teflon-FEP is a Fluorinated ethylene propylene

So is PTFE better for sonics?? or just more likely available (somwehere) for diy audio projects . .

Thanks

Hello otto88, you should be able to find teflon based heatshrink, PTFE, from just about any electronics supply company. Try the website of Farnell, Newark or RS Components. These are just three companies off the top of my head. I'm not sure what distributors you have on your side of the planet, but they should have PTFE heatshrink available. Check the websites.

Peace,

Dave

otto88 said:
maybe for the outer sheath, cotton sleeve would also be good.

Why not use cotton for insulating the individual wires as well?

For that matter, since the cable is braided, why do you need an outer sheath in the first place? Just cover the individual wires with cotton, braid them up, terminate them and you're done.

Why's he using three wires for an unbalanced cable? Why not use four and double up for both the hot and ground leads? Never saw much sense in using three for unbalanced ever since I first saw the Kimber interconnects back in the 80s.

Anyone know a source for diy quantities, c 5 mm diameter?

(Diy HiFi Supply sell it, but only 2 mm)

Reference Audio Mods sells the Audio Consulting cotton braid in 2, 4, 6 and 9mm sizes.

se

> Silver won't corrode in air at normal temperatures

I think he meant oxidise, though I don’t know how much oxidation of silver effects conductivity etc.

cotton for insulating the individual wires as well?

(The idea I’ve now evolved to is heatshrink for the individual wires).
The advantages of heatshrink being easy to do, and preventing further access of the air.

> why do you need an outer sheath in the first place? Just cover the individual wires with cotton, braid them up

The outer sheath provides more robustness . .

> Why's he using three wires for an unbalanced cable? Why not use four and double up for both the hot and ground leads?

I’d have to try to contact him . .

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.