Virus or HOAX?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All.
I received the following email:
I was just informed that my address book may have been infected with
a virus. This is in spite of running an antivirus and from a person that I
have never sent an email to.

As a result, so has yours because your address is in my book. The
virus is called jdbgmgr.exe. It cannot be detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus programs. It sits quietly for about 14 days before damaging the
system. It is sent automatically by messenger and address book, whether or
not you send an email. The good news is that it is easy to get rid of!

Just follow these simple steps and you should have no problem:

1. Go to Start, then Find or Search
2. In files/folders, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure to search in your "C" drive
4. click Find or Search
5. The virus has a teddy bear logo with the name jdbgmgr.exe.
DO NOT OPEN IT!!!
6. RIGHT click and delete it
7. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there also.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. (You
may want to just cut and paste this email, replacing your name for mine and
send it out)

Sorry for all the trouble, but this is something I had no control over. I
received it by someone else's address book, just as you may have received it
from me and also you may have uncontrollably sent it to those in your
address book.

I presume it is a HOAX. Anyone knows more?
I have the file on my C: drive.
:confused: :bawling:

I have this file too... dunno what it is but what makes me wondering is the the fact that I found this file too in one of the Win98 install files. (win98_40.cab)

It sits quietly for about 14 days before damaging the system

Well, didn't get any problems even after several months. (Beside "normal" crashes due to poor programmed Windows, softwares and drivers)

The e-mail would have got more impact if it concerned the file "win.com" :devily:

Regards,

It's can be a hoax......... or not !

Jdbgmgr.exe is a file normally installed by the operating system, and is not a virus. The icon is a small Teddy bear, but nothing to do with the so called BugBear virus.

But, the regular file can be infected by any .exe virus, which can be of course detected by any updated anti-virus.

Regards, Pierre Lacombe.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is indeed a hoax and an old one. Everybody deletes the file without thinking while it is only the Java debugger.

As P. Lacombe states it is always possible that a file is infected.

If you use a good virusscanner like norton it is not very likely you get that easy infected with a virus.

But to my astonishment I see "unprotected" computers every now and than even though their owners have a broadband connection and do P2P. No Scanner, no alarm.

And when I do a check at such a pc with Adaware most of the time I find about 30 or more spyware programs installed like Bonzi Buddy, Gator and the like too. Most of the time because while the children are chatting they click Yes at every message they receive and with time the pc gets infected. Some of the available bandwidth is taken too by this spyware with their "phone-home" signalling !

Joined 2003
Paid Member
jean-paul said:
But to my astonishment I see "unprotected" computers every now and than even though their owners have a broadband connection and do P2P. No Scanner, no alarm.

This is very underestimated..;) To be honest, I see them all the time. 5% is well protected, another 10% a bit protected and 85% not at all.

And when I do a check at such a pc with Adaware most of the time I find about 30 or more spyware programs installed like Bonzi Buddy, Gator and the like too.

Also very underestimated.. 30...most of the time it's between 150 and 500.

But all of that is here in Belgium :devilr:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Hugo, that is explainable. Since I work for an international company I used to go to the Brussels office quite often.
In Belgium subsidiased computer projects at companies don't exist so private computer possesion/knowledge is rather behind with that of dutch users. Sometimes I got very weird questions of belgian users and when I asked them howcome they thought it was the way they thought I discovered that they didn't even had a computer at home. Especially the network was a difficult thing to swallow. People did not understand how they could work on a system in another country while their workstation was in Belgium. So in general the know-how is lower. Strange thing is that I had one of the best courses I ever had on computers and telecommunication techniques in Belgium :scratch:

This is not a remark of discrimination or whatever but a honest conclusion on matters. The renewal/upgrade level in the Netherlands is the highest in Europe. The fastest P4's and Athlon's are sold like sandwiches here, mostly for gaming purposes I admit. Since renewal takes place often most people have more than one pc so networks at home are rising.

In the Netherlands people are warned for virusses by a lot of magazines, the newspapers and sometimes even the evening news ( ! ). So the awareness of the risks of virusses is known by a lot of people. But then again, it is like prevention of AIDS. People know all about it but still don't care and go on the wrong way.

What a comparison !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.