hey guys...looking for reactions to this. something i'm working on- - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2008, 04:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default hey guys...looking for reactions to this. something i'm working on-

NOISE.LA PRESS RELEASE

1. NOISE.LA -

a rebirth of the original nyNOISE audio design exhibition to take place in Downtown Los Angeles on Gallery Row in the Old Bank District.

The nyNOISE audio design exhibitions in NYC 1998-2004 were a gathering of some of audio's most maverick designers, enthusiasts, members of the press, and builders. The original nyNOISE was a rebel party in reaction to an audio hardware industry bent on the re-casting of edgy and exciting audio as gilded airbox drained of the creative intent of the designers and optimised for mass consumption. nyNOISE pioneered the next generation of handbuilt audio so dedicated it refutes compromise and in so doing stands outside the bounds of mass production.

NyNOISE found its origins in the primitive pre-forum internet landscape on a text-only mailing list of audio comrades exchanging building ideas and techniques, and through an iconoclastic magazine called Sound Practices. these ideas rippled through the audio industry and found mainstream influence which continues to this day.

In a new digital landscape of multiple forums, easy, fast, and widespread communication, exciting materials and technologies emerging, and a host of fresh builders contributing ideas and techniques to the art of uncompromised audio, NOISE.LA seeks to pick up where nyNOISE trailed off. All manner of audio builds will be presented and all viewpoints welcomed, in a city with a long history of custom culture and early adoption of innovative design, Los Angeles.

2. NOISE.LA -

a gallery presenting builds by a select group of audio designers for public purchase. Only the most exciting designs will be offered by engineer/artist/fanatics that build from a standpoint of vision, technical achievement, and lifestyle. These audio machines will inspire, seduce, revolt, excite, dismay, titillate, or otherwise communicate the deep intent of the music and musicians played on them and the embody the spirit of each designer uniquely. No mass produced items or "products" will be presented. NOISE.LA is the only gallery / store of its type today, offering killer audio builds not available in any other place or in any other way, whether it be for audio playback of recorded music, musician's tools, or studio tools.

a "fast, cheap, and out-of-control" section will showcase the work of able and inspired enthusiast / builders at a price point set to allow developing builders to recoup costs and build their next project. This will make bleeding-edge audio pieces available to the non-building public for enjoyment and purchase and foster the creative process for up and coming builders.

In the spirit of openmindedness that promotes the acceptance of ideas, NOISE.LA will not discrimate on the basis of technology. All pieces will be considered for inclusion in the show and gallery regardless of the technology utilised in their design, as long as they demonstrate a strength of intent, a directness of communication, and an ability to create enjoyment for the listener / owner.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default haha

well, nevermind i guess. it's a rough draft, sounds pretty obtuse, i'll have to rewrite and try again-
Old 6th May 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've never built an amp with an Artist's Statement, I must admit.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default mmm...

i hear you. i was just thinking...it would be cool to have a gallery for builders to sell their stuff. i could totally get a big storefront here in downtown LA and participate in the giant monthly artwalk already under way.

then i thought...i could revive the old nyNOISE show and host it as a kick off and yearly event like we used to do. people still ask about it.

to get press coverage, you need something to tell magazines what you're trying to do, especially if they've never seen it before.

but yeah...it sounds pretentious as written haha.

but really - i want to hear people's opinions, good or bad

its a raw idea that i think could work, if there are enough good builders interested. here in LA i think it would fly.
Old 9th May 2008, 08:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I, for one, would no doubt be interested.

That is, if only I lived in LA, and I wasn't just 14 years old. You didn't say anything about age, but even so I don't think I would even attempt to show my circuits, however.

For the most part, I've decided to keep my mouth shut where my circuits are concerned, because whenever I post them, either no one understands them because (to use their words) they're weird, or they're just carp in the first place.

But all that aside, I would like to show my circuits more as if they were works of art, rather than a bunch of lines on a piece of paper, with accompanying mass of wires and components mashed onto a PCB for straight and easy production. I think of my circuits more as art than as a mass of technical things put together by a mad genius. I mean, they're supposed to work, but that's not the only thing that's important. Get my drift?

Personally, I would like to see much more public interest that what you're getting, and I don't know why you're not getting it. But if you don't get many replies on this forum, don't be disappointed. No matter what anyone here or anyone elsewhere thinks, you apparently have people interested at home and if for anything, this should be for them. I can say this because personally, I think I'd be really excited to know that I could once again group up with a bunch of other engineers and talk of old times. But that's just my teenage idea. I'm sure it's an experience to itself.

About the paper, I don't think it's bad, but it doesn't really have that official 'new leather' kind of smell to it that might attract more businessmen. But you could also write it in the more casual style, and you might attract more hobbyists, which seem to be the kind of people you're mainly targeting.

If you want my pure opinion, then the last paragraph is what gets me the most. No matter what you do, keep it in there. It's like music to my ears.

Good luck,

- keantoken
Old 9th May 2008, 12:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for the response-

thanks for the opinion. i'd be curious about your builds. circuit bends or what, exactly?

i still don't make any artificial distinctions between professional designers and DIY builders. i've seen the line crossed, and crossed it myself, too many times, in audio, racing, custom motorcycles, etc. we all start as inspired amateurs and no matter what we all end up hardware-hacking at some point. cut and try, cut and try.

narrow definitions are not my thing, too limiting.

i have decided to approach designer/builder/hardware hackers directly, starting with guys i know. I've already got Nori Komuro and Larry Moore on board, guys i know from nyNOISE and my work in NYC. if you google their names with "audio" you'll turn up their press and whatnot. all i really need is a half a dozen guys with vision and good work and it'll start rolling.

my developer / landlord / friend is going to get me a killer space.

i'll edit that press release and stage the event and most likely the press will come like they did to nyNOISE. that event really had legs, and it spawned a hundred other, similar events worldwide.

meantime, i'm working on a 6c45pi driven power opamp-based MI amplifier with mercury vapor rectification. *******' thyratrons, open baffle speaker.

i really need to hear what that sounds like!
Old 9th May 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hey blackie,

I think this is a great idea... a venue for hifi as art. I've been having thots sort of parallel to what you are trying to do ever since one of the fellows at the diyFEST where the Frugel-horn made its public appearance suggested that it should be put into a gallery as a piece of art.

BTW, How do you like LA v NYC?

dave
Old 9th May 2008, 04:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default hey dave!

i was about to email you and ask if you're down with it! shoot me yr email and i'll send you the deets. this thing has momentum now lots of response from good builders via email...

ive been wanting to do this for 10 years and now i'm positioned well for it...LA is better that way than NYC....
Old 9th May 2008, 04:46 PM   #9
1965GTO is offline 1965GTO  United States
diyAudio Member

Ya know this would be a good thing. It is time to re-educate the world on audio, both commercial and diy. I certainly would participate with some of the goods I have created. I will be watching this. My inlaws live down in So Cal so it would be good to get the kids to Disney land and check out such a show as this.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think it's a cool idea.

Recently supplied a battery power, multi channel amp to some guys who do audio sculpture. I'll send you the email address. You may already know them.

A lot of high end audio is already art - it may be the looks more than the sound that sells. But I like the idea of real "audio-art."

Hide this!Advertise here!