"The Puget Sound!" DIY Speaker Contest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

The Puget Sound Audio Society is once again sponsoring "The Puget Sound! Diy Speaker Contest" which is tentitively scheduled for September 6th on Mercer Island (about 6 miles East of Seattle). More information will follow over the next few weeks.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Well, I'm back to confirm that the date of "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" is set for Sept 6, 2008.
The format and everything should be much the same as the 2006 event.

**NOTE**
There *may* be a new category: "desktop/mini-mini monitor/computer speakers" for 3.5 inch drivers and under. This is, however, remains somewhat vague as to structuring it into the event, so for now it remains only a possibility.

The location of the event is again on Mercer Island. Here's a map and directions:

http://www.scn.org/scottish/maps/michurch.htm

I hope to have updated information online soon, until then, or in addition to that, I'll post here in the forums.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Re: "The Puget Sound! diy speaker contest"

Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread, but I had surgery on my wrist on the 2nd of July and I've had trouble getting things done (even after they removed the cast :xeye: ).

I was going to try to get an updated website for the contest, but I'm just going to refer people to the 2006 site. The date, of course has changed, this years contest will be on September 6th. All the information on the 2006 website is correct except where dates are mentioned. If you have questions, post them on this thread and I'll do my best to answer them. Don't be shy, as there are probably others that may have the same question.
Tomorrow, I'll also try to give some info on how the contest is conducted and some of the general information from questions asked in previous years.

As of this evening, you have 50 days left to finalize and build that "dream speaker" for the contest!
So, take a look at the rules, etc., and start building.

Here's the URL:

http://www.freewebs.com/thepugetsound/index.html

Best Regards,
TerryO

Just a reminder to all NW (or anyone else willing to travel) speaker builders:

As of tomorrow, you have 40 days to get those speakers ready for "The Puget Sound!"

If you're interested, read the rules that are linked in my previous posting and let us know you'd like to enter. The Link is to the 2006 Contest, so ignore the dates, the rest of the information is correct.

The date? It's Saturday, September 6, 2008 on Mercer Island. That's about 4 miles or so from Seattle on I-90. Start time is 9:00 am.

Hope to see you there! :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi again,

There are 21 days left until the Contest (9:00am on Sept. 6th)!

Just a note about how it's shaping up, although there are a few matters yet to be settled. Our judges for the Contest will be Winston Ma of FIM, Mike Lavigne (Positive Feedback), Renan Jefferies and Bruce Brown. Gary L. Koh of Genesis Loudspeakers was interested, but his schedule is such as he may be out of the country. All of our judges have served in that capacity in previous Contests, so they volunteered knowing full well what they're getting into.

John Nail, well known speakerbuilder from Eastern Washington, will be measuring the Frequency Response of the Contestant's entries and, of course, presenting them with a printout of the FR. He's a really nice guy, as well as being extremely knowledgeable, so if anyone has questions on speaker design he can probably give you some good ideas on how to proceed. John will also be serving on our Technical Committee.

The Tech. Committee will consist of not only John, but Kevin Haskins of Exodus Audio, Dave Rosgaard (the 200% Norwegian) a Boeing Engineer as well as accomplished speakerbuilder and finally, Myself as the "Expert" on Bad Design and Bondo Technology. :xeye:

The system for the Contest will consist of a Sony 777 deck and a Genesis I-60 tube amp. Music to be used will be the Judge's choice (2-3 minutes per Judge) as well as a 1000Hz test tone at the beginning of the disk for setting the spl level of the entry prior to the start of judging. I have been assured by the people at the mastering lab that are mastering the disk to used for the contest that it will be of the absolute highest quality, having a Block Error Rate (BLER) on the order of between .5 and .3!!! The recording industry considers a BLER of 200 as acceptable. High grade Audiophile recordings can be between 20 and 50 with the Mercedes/AMG's "Passion" having the lowest BLER so far of any recording at 10.

For people just attending the Contest we will have in a separate room a duplicate (or nearly duplicate) system, with a copy of the judge's disk, for listening to the speakers waiting to be judged. Of course, you're welcome to bring your own Cd's as well. If you are unfamiliar with our Contest, the evaluation/judging room is off limits to the public during the contest except for the setup crew (who leave before the judging of an entry), the judges themselves and the technician who sets the levels and passes out and collects the evaluation forms.

The builders will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about their speakers (DIY guys just seem to enjoy talking about speakers, and just about anything else for that matter).

I will be filling in more details as the days go by, if you have any questions about entering a speaker, or the contest, just email me or post here.

Best Regards,
TerryO

With just eleven more days before "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" (Sept. 6th) it would help if we could get an idea of how many entries we can anticipate. If you're considering or are sure you will have an entry for the contest would you let me know? It helps with the planning and so forth.

Another note, if your speaker uses stands, it would be a real help if you brought them along with you. This would help in insuring that your entry is presented in the best possible manner and won't be compromised by an ill fitting, jury-rigged last minute substitute.

Thanks,
TerryO

That's great!

Are you taking the Bainbridge Island ferry? On Saturday, with the relatively light weekend traffic, it shouldn't take more than 25 minutes to get to the Contest. That is, unless you forget to turn left, and end up in San Francisco or Tacoma:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back for the Contest.

Thanks guys for a great get together. Very well run, very professional and fun.

Congrates to all the winners and to all the builders.
The only loser was the poor KT88 tube in room 2. :D

Other audio clubs should take note of this format. It's very fair and informative.

Re: Back for the Contest.

panomaniac said:
Thanks guys for a great get together. Very well run, very professional and fun.

Congrates to all the winners and to all the builders.
The only loser was the poor KT88 tube in room 2. :D

Other audio clubs should take note of this format. It's very fair and informative.

Kind words Mike, I hope that you had a good time:D

We have attempted to put together the best, most unbiased Contest of it's kind. The basic premise of the Contest is to present the DIY speakerbuilder with the oppurtunity to have his project evaluated under strict guidelines that prevent anything other than the sound of the entry from influencing the outcome.

"The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" is now over and the results have been tabulated. I'll be announcing the results in the next day or two, but because of concerns I have, upon reviewing the actual evaluation sheets this evening, there may be a couple of changes in the standings.

I'm pretty tired this evening, so I need to look at this tomorrow, performing the analysis when my mind is a bit rested. Until then, any comments on the overall Contest results are premature, other than to say that the general quality of the entries has once again risen.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.