pls read...I saw new things for sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
I wish you guys would stop blaming the recording/mastering engineers. Yes, there are a very few dodgy ones out there, but mostly the sound you hear on CDs is what the band and management want, not how the engineer would do it if left to his/her own devices. Blame them.

Very true, compare say a White Stripes album to Dire Straits for instance, image conveyance is everything.

Gareth

Re: Re: Re: just asking

panomaniac said:

Wow, that's novel. Never seen the parallel lamp trick. Gotta be tricky to get right. An unlit filament has a very low resistance, low enough to act as a short. Maybe a little DC offset would be an advantage here, to warm up the filament... :) :p

Remember those were tube amplifiers, with their inherent low damping factor (i.e., big ouput impedance). They claimed it to be a sound expander, but I guess the thermal inertia of the filament was too high to give good results.

Also it required a carefull adjust of the volume knob to do the trick.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
audio-kraut said:
I suggest a course in language comprehension.

I sorry - what do that meen?

I was joking, you know.
I suggest a course in humor comprehension.

See - smiley. :)

pinkmouse said:
I wish you guys would stop blaming the recording/mastering engineers.

I dunno. These days I read a lot of engineers saying the same thing. Blame the band, blame the producers, blame somebody, anybody else! Actually, they were saying it 50 years ago, too.

The engineers are not blameless. I should know, I was one. But yeah, there is often a lot of help that goes into bad sound :p

One time I put together a dynamic range expander using a circuit I found where a light bulb was powered by the amplifier output and was used to control the resistance of a cadmium sulfide photocell circuit in the signal path. It didn't track very well and when I turned up the amplifier the bulbs in both channels burned out. I also tried making some tubed expanders which used pentagrid convertors, but the sound quality was low. I have some articles about expanders based on tube ciruits. I was thinking of trying one that used a triode across the signal path and is controlled by a control signal generated using a rectifier and filter arrangement, but I never got around to it.

Update here Electronics Forum -> Tubed Dynamic Range Expanders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.