pls read...I saw new things for sound quality - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2008, 08:36 PM   #61
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
I wish you guys would stop blaming the recording/mastering engineers. Yes, there are a very few dodgy ones out there, but mostly the sound you hear on CDs is what the band and management want, not how the engineer would do it if left to his/her own devices. Blame them.

Very true, compare say a White Stripes album to Dire Straits for instance, image conveyance is everything.

Gareth
Old 8th May 2008, 09:26 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: just asking

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac

Wow, that's novel. Never seen the parallel lamp trick. Gotta be tricky to get right. An unlit filament has a very low resistance, low enough to act as a short. Maybe a little DC offset would be an advantage here, to warm up the filament... :P
Remember those were tube amplifiers, with their inherent low damping factor (i.e., big ouput impedance). They claimed it to be a sound expander, but I guess the thermal inertia of the filament was too high to give good results.

Also it required a carefull adjust of the volume knob to do the trick.
Old 9th May 2008, 04:39 AM   #63
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut
I suggest a course in language comprehension.
I sorry - what do that meen?

I was joking, you know.
I suggest a course in humor comprehension.

See - smiley.

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
I wish you guys would stop blaming the recording/mastering engineers.
I dunno. These days I read a lot of engineers saying the same thing. Blame the band, blame the producers, blame somebody, anybody else! Actually, they were saying it 50 years ago, too.

The engineers are not blameless. I should know, I was one. But yeah, there is often a lot of help that goes into bad sound :P
Old 9th May 2008, 05:16 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
See - smiley.

smileys are the last refuge of the...(fill in appropriate noun)
Old 9th May 2008, 06:53 AM   #65
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

smileys are the last refuge of the...(illiterate?)

Old 9th May 2008, 12:28 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

they use lamps in pro-audio speaker cabinets as a form of tweeter protection. it works fine until the sound man notices that he's lost some of the highs, and cranks up the highs some more, and more......
Old 18th July 2013, 11:35 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7n7is View Post
One time I put together a dynamic range expander using a circuit I found where a light bulb was powered by the amplifier output and was used to control the resistance of a cadmium sulfide photocell circuit in the signal path. It didn't track very well and when I turned up the amplifier the bulbs in both channels burned out. I also tried making some tubed expanders which used pentagrid convertors, but the sound quality was low. I have some articles about expanders based on tube ciruits. I was thinking of trying one that used a triode across the signal path and is controlled by a control signal generated using a rectifier and filter arrangement, but I never got around to it.
Update here Electronics Forum -> Tubed Dynamic Range Expanders

Hide this!Advertise here!