The MOST Awesome Volume Knob Has a Price... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 02:14 AM   #1
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The MOST Awesome Volume Knob Has a Price...

I was in one of my employee's offices when I saw trhe sample package of stop covers for the Sloan Flush valve (think public restroom. The perfect polished Nickel plated Brass 2" diameter cover weighing almost at least as much as $400 worth of mid grade bail weed. Lucky for me my employee wanted to make me happy. I got one for free. I have some delrin at home. This would be a nice 1 or 2 hour project and net me some free relaxation and a cool knob for my next amp.

Long story short. The drill press bound as it cut through the hole in the side for the set screw and the cap got pulled up to the top of the bit. It was only a split second, but I could feel the bit cutting as it cut through my finger. It bled a lot, and I'm not ashamed to admit that it hurt a like a.... well, a 3/16" drill bit through the finger. A quick trip to the hospital for a bit of sewing and I managed to finish the knob tonight. I guess this next amp will have a story to go with it...

EDIT: Don't try this at home. the anesthesia they use requires 4 shots directly into the tip of your finger. The doctor didn't sugar cote it. He said "It's gonna hurt like hell". It did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloodknob.jpg (28.1 KB, 683 views)
Old 29th April 2008, 02:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The drill press is the shop ninja. It will try to disembowl you at any time.

Always use a drill press vise. Always rotate the vise or workpiece of its big enough to touch the column. This prevents whipping you if the drill grabs. Listen to the sounds the cutter makes as its clearing the work, and feed it slower.

Learn how to resharpen your bits so they won't grab as they come through the work. You have to grind back the edge to lesser angle. I can post a pic of this if needed.(I run a machine shop)

This is the piece of equipment I see the most injuries on. Take your time, don't use power tools if you just yelled at someone, or them at you.

John C.
Old 29th April 2008, 04:30 AM   #3
TheMG is offline TheMG  Canada
diyAudio Member

At least you didn't do what a friend of mine did - using a hand drill to put a hole in a knob!

Picture someone drilling a knob, holding the knob in one hand, the drill in the other. Well, you can imagine what happened... the drill bit slipped, and went right through the palm of his hand. Ouch! Lesson learned: always secure the work piece, don't use your hands!
Old 29th April 2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ouch ouch ouch!

I stepped on a rusy nail this morning, and have been limping around -- but it ain't nothing like that finger of yours. Ouch again!

Sure hope you like the knob, it is a beauty.
Old 29th April 2008, 07:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotsauce
Learn how to resharpen your bits so they won't grab as they come through the work. You have to grind back the edge to lesser angle. I can post a pic of this if needed.(I run a machine shop).
Please do, (though a new thread may be appropriate). All my woodwork tools are kept razor sharp, but I've never had much luck with drill bits. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

As for avoiding injury, a hint. When using a nail gun to fit small pieces of trim, make sure you took all the larger nails out of the air nailer you were using previously, so you don't fire a oversize nail through your trim, through the stock, and into your finger holding the work in place.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th April 2008, 10:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Kuroguy

With the cost of having your finger sewed up I guess you could call this volume knob a true audiophiles component. At least 400.00 for this one piece.
I hope you did not cause any permanet damage to your finger. That has happened to me several times with a hand drill and it does smart a little.
All in all how did the project turn out. Tad
Old 29th April 2008, 10:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wink off-topic medical advice

Tell your doctor next time it can be done with 2 injections that are less painful (at the base of the finger; the Oberst technique). Then sue him. Then buy an identical knob for input selection.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OUCH !!
Old 29th April 2008, 10:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Kurio-us-guy,

welcome on behalf of all members of the sliced finger club, next time try slicing the bone as well.
Very smooth nobby though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fingerpoken.jpg (63.3 KB, 382 views)
Old 29th April 2008, 11:51 AM   #10
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: off-topic medical advice

Quote:
Originally posted by DocLorren
Tell your doctor next time it can be done with 2 injections that are less painful (at the base of the finger; the Oberst technique). Then sue him. Then buy an identical knob for input selection.
With any amount of luck there won't be a next time. No need to sue him. He took me in ahead of everybody (he was finishing his shift). I would have had a very long wait otherwise. Here's a first. I beat my paperwork through the emergency room. they were finished with me and I hadn't signed any fee paperwork.

Hide this!Advertise here!