Phase difference - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2008, 05:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Phase difference

Hey there, just asking a question I couldn't really figure out relating to phase difference...

I have a bipole planar headphone driver that (I'm pretty sure at least, don't have the means to measure) has a destructive backwave. I've been trying to design a new enclosure for the headphone drivers but the best idea I can come up with is just directing the backwave away from the ears. The thing I really want to try though is to get the backwave in phase with the front output of the driver. Is there any physically possible way of doing this?

I've been searching around everywhere for the answer but I can't find any sort of answer to my question.
Old 24th April 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

AFAIK, it is possible - at one frequency. It is done by making the backwave travel half a wavelength further than the frontwave, through a waveguide of some sort.

However, this will only work at multiples of this fundamental, tuned frequency. So for music, I believe that the answer is no, and htta your best bet is to direct the backwave away from the ear, in the way that Electrostatic headphones, such as Stax, do.

I could be wrong, so I stand to be corrected. But that it what my (basic) understanding of the physics is.

James
Old 24th April 2008, 06:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of... I was hoping someone knew of a way to cover a broader frequency range.

Hide this!Advertise here!