Phase difference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there, just asking a question I couldn't really figure out relating to phase difference...

I have a bipole planar headphone driver that (I'm pretty sure at least, don't have the means to measure) has a destructive backwave. I've been trying to design a new enclosure for the headphone drivers but the best idea I can come up with is just directing the backwave away from the ears. The thing I really want to try though is to get the backwave in phase with the front output of the driver. Is there any physically possible way of doing this?

I've been searching around everywhere for the answer but I can't find any sort of answer to my question.

AFAIK, it is possible - at one frequency. It is done by making the backwave travel half a wavelength further than the frontwave, through a waveguide of some sort.

However, this will only work at multiples of this fundamental, tuned frequency. So for music, I believe that the answer is no, and htta your best bet is to direct the backwave away from the ear, in the way that Electrostatic headphones, such as Stax, do.

I could be wrong, so I stand to be corrected. But that it what my (basic) understanding of the physics is.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.