Amplifier Classes Survey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Class B can be more linear - Now work that one out :D
Any textbook will show class B as being where the output devices are cut-off under quiescent (no signal) conditions, that is the correct definition and this means high distortion at the zero crossing point. At what point does class B become class A or AB1. Technically a quiescent current of "greater than zero" is class AB as there is some overlap in the conduction angle of the output devices. I would call it class B however up to say 40 or 50 ma. A current of 150ma I would call class AB, and there are no recognised standards as far as I am aware.
Hope that helps, or has it added to the confusion :)

Hi there guys

It's for a university research project, I'm studying the perception and understanding of amplifier classes, basically to see what people what in an amp depending on application.

I've posted this on a couple of Pro Audio forums (I work in Live Sound / theatre as opposed to anything DIY) and there's a decent comparison of live sound guy's understanding on amplifiers compared to audiophile's understanding.

At the moment I've got the raw data results in an Excel spreadsheet, I'm not sure if there's a way to publish the stats ones online.

What I was looking for was any correlation of preference of amplifier class depending on application, or if the respondent doesn't understand classes, just the features they would prefer. I'm surprised how open Audiophiles have been to Class D, I would have thought you guys would have been against that. Live guys love them though, and noone of them would take a Class A, as for the size of the application it'd end up far, far too heavy en mass.

I've had about 70 responses so far, really pleased with that! About 20 Audiophiles, 40 sound guys, 5 guitarists and a couple of DJs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.