Plexiglass PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I am pondering the idea of doing a pleixglass PCB.
Yes, I know, the idea seems strange but here is what I want to do:

Print the circuit design (top and bottom) (as per normal PCB) on stickable vinyl and stick on a piece of plexiglass (persex). Drill holes for component leads. Wire everything up with point to point technique following the circuit of the print.

What do you think? :xeye:

GD

Plexiglass has a dielectric constant of 2.2 to 3.4 -- which is very good, but it is hard to drill without chipping or causing fatal cracks (you can get special drill bits). There are a lot of methyl methacrylate materials out there and the dielectric constants range from the 2's to 3's.

If you can get polypropylene (2.2) it is a much easier to work material. Almost as good as Teflon which is about 2.0

FR-4 fiberglas has a dielectric constant -- around 4.5 to 5, phenolic PCB material is 5-7.

Dry balsa wood -- around 1.2.

Aside from the heat and workability problems, doesn't plexi build up an internal static charge? Not sure how that would effect circuit workings.

And where would you get copper clad stickable vinyl that would survive the etching process? You could probably get one of the companys that make flex cables to print your circuit to that and then attach it to the plexi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.