anatech

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Chris:
I also have experience with GPIB programming,I have used Microsoft Visual Basic as my development environment for most of the projects I have been involved with.

I have also used Microsoft Excel to develop GPIB applications,it has a very robust programming language built right in(VBA).In my opinion this is all you would need to develop your applications without buying any additional software development tools,You can leverage the number crunching capabilities of Excel as well as the powerfull graphing tools.

I do not have any experience with the card you are using,if you have trouble getting it working I have a few extra National Instruments PC11-A cards(ISA slot only) laying around,I will give one to you for free if you want.(free shipping of course!)

Best Regards
Bob Cottiers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Your offer is very kind, thanks. I have no 'puters with ISA slots any more. I think Soyo still makes some, but they are expensive. We did use them for legacy voice mail systems.

I suspect you can still get these ISA boards for CNC machines. Again, an expensive niche market item.

If any member has an old MB, the GPIB cards can be found between $5 and $10 USD. That would get you going.

-Chris

RCBandwidth said:
I have also used Microsoft Excel to develop GPIB applications,it has a very robust programming language built right in(VBA).In my opinion this is all you would need to develop your applications without buying any additional software development tools,You can leverage the number crunching capabilities of Excel as well as the powerfull graphing tools.

That's an excellent, excellent idea Bob. I concur with this and would recommend it to Chris as well, assuming he has a copy of Excel.

Chris, the language support of this card for Visual Basic (among others) is in the file "LZF826GPIB_440F.EXE" on this page. It's in the "Windows version GPIB Communication Driver API-GPIB(98/PC)" section. I can't seem to link to the file directly, as it has some funny characters in the link name that this forum's software doesn't like. For some strange reason, running the executable does not actually install the software, rather it just unzips the setup file to the temp directory of c:. To install it, run the C:\TEMP\APIPAC\GPIB\Disk1\setup.exe. There's another setup.exe in another subdirectory of temp that's created, but it seems to just uninstall any previously installed software and reinstall a subset of the software. That setup.exe is in C:\TEMP\APIPAC\RUNTIME\GPIB\Disk1 and you should avoid running it.

Also, I have a PDF file of an Excel Visual Basic programming tutorial. It's very well written and does not assume any prior programming experience. If you'd like a copy, send me an email and I'll give you a link to where it is. It is for Excel 2003.

Once the software is installed, you should see some VB examples in C:\Program Files\CONTEC\API-PAC(W32)\GPIB\Samples\VB6. Unfortunately I can't try these, as the card is required. But I can help you get these to work with Excel VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andy,
That's great! Thanks to both you and Bob for assisting. I'll fire you off some mail. Andy, I did download that Microsoft suite. Not installed yet though. I do have Excell, do you think Open Office will work also? It's more up to date and I refuse to buy the latest version of Excel for XP. Open Office is what I would use with Linux in the future.

Note: There is no burning rush here. I don't work that fast, so don't treat this as a priority.

-Chris

anatech said:
I do have Excell, do you think Open Office will work also? It's more up to date and I refuse to buy the latest version of Excel for XP. Open Office is what I would use with Linux in the future.

I don't think OpenOffice will work for this. I used Excel and VBA to do model parameter extraction of power MOSFETs over in the SPICE thread. As part of that, PB2 reviewed my code when I was having problems. He was using OpenOffice at the time. He could view my VBA code but could not execute it. I may be able to help you out with another alternative. I can provide more info on that via email :).

I believe OpenOffice has a Basic interpreter also but incompatible with VBA

VBA is probably easiest if you have Microsoft infrastructure

Python sounds attractive - there are enough Google hits for python and gpib to think you could find enough to get going and SciPy and other open projects look like data manipulation/presentation in Python is well beyond VBA/Excel

SciLab is another free tool, a MatLab "workalike", that is good for data analysis with a GPIB Toolbox add on

National Instruments Labview - student edition is cheap - I have no idea as to the limitations

anatech, you mention seat belts etc. Volvo Amazon was the first car in the world (correct me please if I'm wrong) with seat belts and people thought it was kind of ridiculous when the goverment in Sweden made a law about using seatbelts. They also made an even more ridiculous law about using the head light daytime! Right now I don't know how many countries that have those laws but we aren't alone anymore. The goverment also founded a law about using seat belt in the backseat.

I wish you well in your healing process.:wchair:

peranders said:
anatech, you mention seat belts etc. Volvo Amazon was the first car in the world (correct me please if I'm wrong) with seat belts and people thought it was kind of ridiculous when the goverment in Sweden made a law about using seatbelts. They also made an even more ridiculous law about using the head light daytime! Right now I don't know how many countries that have those laws but we aren't alone anymore. The goverment also founded a law about using seat belt in the backseat.

The Indian government has made it mandatory that you blow your horn constantly, and adorn your vehicle with marigolds, to much the same effect.

Hey Chris I have been looking for your post, and haven't seen any. I did a search for your screen name. I am relieved that you are still kicking about here. I will continue to pray for you, and your family. I had some severe injuries in 97, and more in 05. I feel for you, and want you to know it usually gets better. It took me about five years to get about pretty good.
Best wishes.
Hang in there.
Ben

Chris:

Take a look at www.ke5fx.com -- Jim's another ham radio operator and has written a program called 7470.exe -- which will allow you to simulate the HP7470 pen-plotter on an HP3585.

7470.gif

I use an HP3577 network analyzer and have only started to write to it -- the manual has several code examples and I would imagine that the HP3585 manual does as well. I also have an Tektronix AA5010, SG5010 which all talk via the GPIB -- so does the Boonton 1120 THD Analyzer. I will probably be able to write a program to test flatness versus the RIAA curve, and isolate noise from THD, etc., etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You guys are amazing!!!!

Thank you so much!, all of you.

Hi Jack,
That looks exactly like what I want to do. Fantastic! :) Now, if I can get everything talking, Ill be one happy guy. Of course, Id like to be able to go further and do more. I have a 3586B that will do cool things when locked to a 3336B or 3335A. I cant afford a 3325 of any rev. Not now anyway. There are of course many other instruments that should be connected.

You are correct in thinking the 3585A has many functions available to the GPIB buss. It is very likely close to your 3577A. That was one model I was considering. I still need an RF spectrum analyzer, and I have seen that Agilent has a new one listing at less than 10K. Thank the DSP chips for the price reductions. One of their new scopes may work for me too. I will download that software. Dont expect success too quickly from me.

How do you find the Boonton? I still use an HP 339A for THD measurements. I also have a Tek AA5001A missing the rear connector. Otherwise it is supposed to work. One day.

Hi jcx,
I will have to have a look at your suggestions. Thank you!

This is such a great website! The people here are second to none.

-Chris ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi P-A,
I agree with seat belts. When they first became law, I had been wearing them at higher speeds only. They were a nuisance in a parking lot and I still don't wear a belt in a parking lot.

I find daytime headlights to dilute what they used to signal. Emergency vehicles and motorbikes. GM has as standard equipment, automatic lighting. Brilliant, because they come on at dusk before you realize how dark it is. Also during a storm or tunnels. Very handy indeed. So the one thing I do not agree with is the daytime running light. Now we can't tell if it's a one-eyed car or a motorcycle.

I'm not sure on air bags. Never had one of mine go off, but they are too expensive I think.

-Chris

Chris, about lights, question: In sun shine with a dark background and also a grey or dark car: When you do see the car if the lights are off? When do you see the car if the lights are on? Answer the same question with motorcycles. Why is it important to see the difference between a motorcycle and a car?

Airbags, expensive? Haven't all cars airbags in the US?

Chris, no offence but why aren't americans best in the world when it comes to safety?

Hey P-A,

You're up late, or is it early?

Why is it important to see the difference between a Motorcycle and a car?

Well, at night with a lot of glare and a vehicle is approaching you with its high intensity light on (High Beams in USA), let's say the road is narrow or suddenly an emergency situation arises at almost the point you meet. If it is a bike, you have more space on a narrow road or in an emergency situation. If it is a car with one light out and maybe also the running lights because of an accident or negligent driver, You might have to guess which side is out and sometimes that guess is wrong. That's why the other car has its light out. It was in an accident just like this but at least the last car knew where both sides of the car were because that happened when both sides worked! LOL

This happens often enough in the Summer by me. I am extra cautious when a cyclops comes towards me all the while hoping it is a bike!

BTW, I have a M/C licence for 24 years and a bike too!

Chris... Good to see you helping and pursuing things again, even if it is limited!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
If it is a car with one light out and maybe also the running lights because of an accident or negligent driver, You might have to guess which side is out and sometimes that guess is wrong.
You mean you don't see which side of the road the car/bike is driving on?

Can't argue about pros and cons really but in Sweden and a couple of other countries there is a law and I think it's quite nice since most cars have automatic lights on and as I see it, it has no disadvantages at all.

peranders said:
Chris, no offence but why aren't americans best in the world when it comes to safety?

Americans, by their nature, like to take risk. (and there aren't the social penalties for failure in the U.S. as there may be in Europe.)

Getting back to the topic at hand, which is, I guess, programming on the GPIB or HPIB -- Chris -- I suggest that you download the MSoft Developer Express program and take a look at the C++ code in 7470.exe. If you want some basic info on the HP Graphics Language (HP GL or HP GL/2) back when I was flat on my back owing to an accident I OCR'd the chapter from the HP PCL5 Printer Language Manual here: http://www.tech-diy.com/HP Graphics Language.htm

Hi Jack,

Not to take this OT for long but here is an explanation. And then I will let you get back to your regularly scheduled program.

I read a very interesting theory about why Americans are such risk takers.

As America was evolving from what it was before it was invaded, the people who moved here were taking huge risks based on a hearsay promise of a better life. They left everyone they knew including family in many cases. In some cases like in Ireland they had to go during and after the famine. But overall we are the largest melting pot of restless people.

Risk taking and restlessness are two of the major ingredients for a recipe of ADD. With so many different cultures here and many are mixing, we truly have a melting pot (I have heritage from 6-7 different countries). The ADD is becoming pervasive and can usually be seen somewhere (diagnosed or not) in most families. I see it all around me and have been affected by its wrath.

Not all is bad. Many of the accomplishments and inventions have come from people with ADD as they are very good at thinking out of the box (a necessity to find ways to meet deadlines because of so much procrastination and poor time management). They are usually highly intelligent as well!

I personally believe this theory has merit.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Chris, if you some tutorials on working with C++ look here: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=C+++&hl=en&sitesearch=#

As far as HP GL goes, it looks like that is reading material as Jack has already posted!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.