Reel-to-reel tape decks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Just out of curiosity, why one earth does a website dedicated to DIY audio have a section devoted to DIY projection systems, but nothing specifically for reel-to-reel tape recorders?

I'm sure there is a huge (?) number of reel-to-reel maintainers and fanciers out there.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
eStatic said:
I've wondered why it doesn't have a section on "experimental" multi channel systems, ambiophonics, ambiosonics, ambience systems etc.

There are a few facets of home audio with great scope for DIY experimentation that are (bizarrely) pretty much ignored. Tone control / frequency equalization and frequency response measurement is another (with homebrewed noise generators, wobulators, spectrum analysers, equalized mic. amps, etc).

I own a few old reel-reel tape decks (which were the ‘in thing’ in the 70’s) and it recently struck me that I’ve never seen a post here about servicing really any type of tape machine.

I just assumed that these are things that nostalgic audiophiles would drool over (like some HAM's over RTTY machnies), but it looks like I’m mistaken.

tape nuts

G.Kleinschmidt said:

There are a few facets of home audio with great scope for DIY experimentation that are (bizarrely) pretty much ignored. Tone control / frequency equalization and frequency response measurement is another (with homebrewed noise generators, wobulators, spectrum analysers, equalized mic. amps, etc).

I own a few old reel-reel tape decks (which were the ‘in thing’ in the 70’s) and it recently struck me that I’ve never seen a post here about servicing really any type of tape machine.

I just assumed that these are things that nostalgic audiophiles would drool over (like some HAM's over RTTY machnies), but it looks like I’m mistaken.

This forum seems to be gaga over full range speakers and tube electronics... check out audiokarma.org if you want more reel to reel analog tape stuff...

some of what I've rebuilt..to better than spec

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

John L.

I have done business with the guy in Japan that has been building heads and pinch rollers for TEAC R/R since forever. The new heads and pinch rollers in my XR7 have a 2002 date code on them.

I too have some AKAI decks Hard to get heads for, but you can get rebuilt pinch rollers. I Have two AKAI M8 decks and the last model that used that stamped platten, for mounting and alignment, for it's eddy current reel motors and control circuitry. A set of Sony heads, 1/2 and 1/4 track, to top off those tube preamplifiers from the M8. A fortune in large diameter air coil, potted wire wound resistors, if nothing else. I just seem to have run out of interest in the project, sadly.

Certainly a good selection of tapes on ebay, if you know who to buy from. I have a few hundred, of music I am partial to.

Of course, if you are wealthy, you should be dealing with Dan Schmalle in his Tape Project endeavor.

Bud

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good old R2R! How many Revox have I left in the dust?
I remember having to replace all the trim pots in several A77s. :) The B77 was the work horse of us theater techs back in the 70s-80s, before CDRs and HDDs.
Did of lot of mixing on a Tascam 8 track machine, too.

The good old days. :D

Maybe the best I ever used was a Scully. Biggest darn 1/4" machine I've ever seen.. Great for editing.

Glad this subject came up. My father has a lot of tapes he recorded of shows in the 60s. Might have to revive them.

Remember when Columbia House had a choice of Vinyl, Cassette, or Reel to Reel?

Thanks G.Kleinschmidt for (maybe) getting the R2R ball rolling here.

G.Kleinschmidt said:
Just out of curiosity, why one earth does a website dedicated to DIY audio have a section devoted to DIY projection systems, but nothing specifically for reel-to-reel tape recorders?

I'm sure there is a huge (?) number of reel-to-reel maintainers and fanciers out there.
Not long ago there was no class D forum.... but a couple of people yelled high enough. :yell:

Reel to Reel Tapedecks

Hi

Here's one of two Nagras I have. I originally bought 5 of them for the equivalent of US$350 or US$70 apiece when the local broadcaster put them out to pasture.

bulgin

Attachments

• 12_02_1.jpg
    12_02_1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 142
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.