Reel-to-reel tape decks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2008, 11:33 AM   #1
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Default Reel-to-reel tape decks

Just out of curiosity, why one earth does a website dedicated to DIY audio have a section devoted to DIY projection systems, but nothing specifically for reel-to-reel tape recorders?

I'm sure there is a huge (?) number of reel-to-reel maintainers and fanciers out there.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
eStatic is offline eStatic  United States
diyAudio Member

I've wondered why it doesn't have a section on "experimental" multi channel systems, ambiophonics, ambiosonics, ambience systems etc.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:49 PM   #3
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by eStatic
I've wondered why it doesn't have a section on "experimental" multi channel systems, ambiophonics, ambiosonics, ambience systems etc.

There are a few facets of home audio with great scope for DIY experimentation that are (bizarrely) pretty much ignored. Tone control / frequency equalization and frequency response measurement is another (with homebrewed noise generators, wobulators, spectrum analysers, equalized mic. amps, etc).

I own a few old reel-reel tape decks (which were the ‘in thing’ in the 70’s) and it recently struck me that I’ve never seen a post here about servicing really any type of tape machine.

I just assumed that these are things that nostalgic audiophiles would drool over (like some HAM's over RTTY machnies), but it looks like I’m mistaken.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:05 AM   #4
eStatic is offline eStatic  United States
diyAudio Member

This thread on another forum may be of interest:
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18800
Old 27th March 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default tape nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt

There are a few facets of home audio with great scope for DIY experimentation that are (bizarrely) pretty much ignored. Tone control / frequency equalization and frequency response measurement is another (with homebrewed noise generators, wobulators, spectrum analysers, equalized mic. amps, etc).

I own a few old reel-reel tape decks (which were the ‘in thing’ in the 70’s) and it recently struck me that I’ve never seen a post here about servicing really any type of tape machine.

I just assumed that these are things that nostalgic audiophiles would drool over (like some HAM's over RTTY machnies), but it looks like I’m mistaken.

This forum seems to be gaga over full range speakers and tube electronics... check out audiokarma.org if you want more reel to reel analog tape stuff...

some of what I've rebuilt..to better than spec

Click the image to open in full size.

John L.
Old 27th March 2008, 03:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I would'nt mind seeing a bit more discussion on RTR decks. I enjoy working on them and always keep one in my main system. I have a Technics RS1500 playing right now. (Playing through tubes and full range speakers)
Old 27th March 2008, 04:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
I have an old AKAI reel to reel in storage that I inherited, I would love to dig it out if I had a little help on what to do with it...
Old 27th March 2008, 05:47 AM   #8
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I have done business with the guy in Japan that has been building heads and pinch rollers for TEAC R/R since forever. The new heads and pinch rollers in my XR7 have a 2002 date code on them.

I too have some AKAI decks Hard to get heads for, but you can get rebuilt pinch rollers. I Have two AKAI M8 decks and the last model that used that stamped platten, for mounting and alignment, for it's eddy current reel motors and control circuitry. A set of Sony heads, 1/2 and 1/4 track, to top off those tube preamplifiers from the M8. A fortune in large diameter air coil, potted wire wound resistors, if nothing else. I just seem to have run out of interest in the project, sadly.

Certainly a good selection of tapes on ebay, if you know who to buy from. I have a few hundred, of music I am partial to.

Of course, if you are wealthy, you should be dealing with Dan Schmalle in his Tape Project endeavor.

Bud
Old 27th March 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Good old R2R! How many Revox have I left in the dust?
I remember having to replace all the trim pots in several A77s. The B77 was the work horse of us theater techs back in the 70s-80s, before CDRs and HDDs.
Did of lot of mixing on a Tascam 8 track machine, too.

The good old days.

Maybe the best I ever used was a Scully. Biggest darn 1/4" machine I've ever seen.. Great for editing.

Glad this subject came up. My father has a lot of tapes he recorded of shows in the 60s. Might have to revive them.

Remember when Columbia House had a choice of Vinyl, Cassette, or Reel to Reel?

Thanks G.Kleinschmidt for (maybe) getting the R2R ball rolling here.
Old 27th March 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Reel-to-reel tape decks

Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt
Just out of curiosity, why one earth does a website dedicated to DIY audio have a section devoted to DIY projection systems, but nothing specifically for reel-to-reel tape recorders?

I'm sure there is a huge (?) number of reel-to-reel maintainers and fanciers out there.
Not long ago there was no class D forum.... but a couple of people yelled high enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!