passive line level XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been playing around with these passive line level xo the last few days but have some questions about how to implement.

I have a pair of DIY electrostatic speakers that need equalization due to dipole phase cancellation.
The schematic looks like part B in the pic below.
Basically it is a 100Hz low pass with an added resistor R3 to level out at about 750Hz. Using the formulae in the above link and in Sanders’ ESL cookbook I get these values:
R2 = 7.5k
C2 = 0.22uF
R3 = 1k
This seems to work very well.

As well as equalization I want to use a high pass at around 80 to 100Hz in order to free the ESL from the lowest frequencies. I have a sub for those.
This is what part A is for. Again using the link above I used these values:
C1 = 0.4uF
R1 = 5k.

Can I simply cascade these two sections or will they mess each other up?
And if so what can I do about it

Attachments

• xo1.jpg
    xo1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 133
Hi.

Well, most is discussed in the good articles you mentioned. To get it right it takes usually a lot of trial and error.

I can only say get a good PSpice simulator to see what happens with your particular filter and to help you with the trial and error process. You can download free student editions of such simulators that do the job. MicroCap7 (http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm ) for instance is easy to get on the run.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.