Tiny PC system install - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2008, 06:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tiny PC system install

hi after reading the post link

I am wondering how to completely wipe the partitions on the hard drive, users Pinkmouse & Gfinlayson seemed to be able to figure out how to format the tiny pc hard drive, but they dont say in the post how they did it.

does anyone know how to get round the "block" on the hard disk so that i can install another copy of windows on the hard disk rather than using the recovery disk supplied by tiny
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:49 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
If you have a cd copy of winxp and the correct code, it's easy.

Boot from the cd

You will get to a screen which asks about repair, reinstall etc

choose options to delete existing partition and then reformat and reinstall xp

get drivers off the net.

Andy
Old 22nd March 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

but tiny lock the hard drive to prevent you from installing on the hard disk. there is a hidden partition that prevents install.
Old 22nd March 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
HI.

Go to this thread, post 10

Hard Drive problem

I posted this file some time ago. If you follow the instructions, it will completely reformat your drive. All data will be lost.

(In fact, you only have to run it for a few seconds while it wipes the start of the drive, othewise it takes ages !!!)

Andy
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

When Graeme did mine, he used some sort of command line utility to delete the partition and reformat the HD with just one partition. Sorry, I can't remember what it was called, but at a guess, it looks like Andy's linked programme will do the same thing.

Oh, and my mum did end up with the iBook.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just as an aside on Maxllf

It is a very useful utility from Maxtor but works with many other brands of drive.

I use it from a floppy with win98 DOS.

It performs a 'proper' low level format on the drive and remaps any bad sectors to the 'hidden' table.

If the drive has bad sectors and maxllf cannot remap them, the drive really is scrap.

Andy
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Just as an aside on Maxllf

It is a very useful utility from Maxtor but works with many other brands of drive.

I use it from a floppy with win98 DOS.

It performs a 'proper' low level format on the drive and remaps any bad sectors to the 'hidden' table.

If the drive has bad sectors and maxllf cannot remap them, the drive really is scrap.

Andy
Technically speaking you cannot do a true "low level format" on modern drives. The correct term is "Reinitialization" which can be done by zero-filling the hard drive.

If you have a drive with known bad sectors I suggest a program called "HDD Regenerator". This program will actually try to physically restore bad sectors instead of just sweeping them under the rug so to speak.

A good zero-fill tool improperly labeled as a low-level formatter is "HDGURU HDD Low Level Format Tool".
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Some utility?

fdisk /mbr

That's all she wrote. I also disclaim any loss of data that might occur, 'cause there won't be any "master boot record" after that command.

Low level format??? It's 2008. Bad sectors are repaired with dollar bills.
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1

Technically speaking you cannot do a true "low level format" on modern drives. The correct term is "Reinitialization" which can be done by zero-filling the hard drive.

If you have a drive with known bad sectors I suggest a program called "HDD Regenerator". This program will actually try to physically restore bad sectors instead of just sweeping them under the rug so to speak.

All hard drives are low level formatted before leaving the factory and the bad sectors are remapped with spare sectors. So, in a sense, yes, the bad sectors are "swept under the carpet". This happens as all new hard drives have bad sectors.

As for repairing with dollar bills... recycle, reuse, repair
Use the warranty service provided by the manufacturer.

Andy
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:

All hard drives are low level formatted before leaving the factory and the bad sectors are remapped with spare sectors.
Yes, but what I meant is YOU cannot do a true low level format.

Quote:
So, in a sense, yes, the bad sectors are "swept under the carpet". This happens as all new hard drives have bad sectors.
Yes, but why hide them if there is a chance they can be repaired. Besides, a hard drive has a limited remapping ability and will run out of "spare sectors" sooner or later so it is better to try and fix them.

Hide this!Advertise here!