unplugging restores bass? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2008, 12:46 AM   #1
sandrze is offline sandrze  United States
diyAudio Member

Default unplugging restores bass?

hi,

i've noticed for some time, when i disconnect and reconnect the speaker cables and interconnects from my amp the upper and lower bass comes back to full bloom. within a few days to about a week it slowly fades to a more anemic bass response. i've also noticed similiar results with a break-in cd. playing it for several hours seems to give similiar results however not as effectively as the disconnect reconnect method. could anyone shed some light on this situation and possibly offer some solutions. it would be nice not having to pull the amp out every week to get that deep glorious bass.

thanks,

steve
Old 18th March 2008, 04:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default bump

any thoughts?
Old 19th March 2008, 04:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Contacts get rubbed and cleaned by your action.
Try using gold plated, screw type connectors for speaker and gold plated RCAs(or whatever) for interconnects.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 19th March 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi gajanan,

thanks for the input. i do have wbt binding posts and rca's. i'm also using a contact enhancer ( mapleshade ). i'm inclined to believe that it is not the swiping action of removing the connectors but has more to do with the remnance magnetic or static build-up. i believe by touching the disconnected cables i'm draining the nasties out of the wire or equiptment. this is pure speculation of course and i was hoping i could get a scientific explanation of what is actually occurring. i'm thinking i'm not the only one that has encountered this situation, especially with all of the demagnetising cd's available. would a strategically placed resistor drain these nuisances to ground?

thanks,

steve
Old 20th March 2008, 04:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

U can always connect a ten megaohm resistor from ground to earth which will connect automatically when the system is off (using some relay/circuit), which will get rid of the statics.

If what u say happens, then this will solve your problem.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 20th March 2008, 09:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandrze
i'm inclined to believe that it is not the swiping action of removing the connectors but has more to do with the remnance magnetic or static build-up. i believe by touching the disconnected cables i'm draining the nasties out of the wire or equiptment. this is pure speculation of course and i was hoping i could get a scientific explanation of what is actually occurring. i'm thinking i'm not the only one that has encountered this situation, especially with all of the demagnetising cd's available. would a strategically placed resistor drain these nuisances to ground?
I suggest that you slaughter a goat...

I_F
Old 20th March 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Maybe the magical 'contact enhancer' is actually causing problems?
Old 20th March 2008, 06:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default wire problems

Simple solution is to use wireless speakers! Poof!! no more problems!! And you then don't have to worry about how good your wires sound...
Old 20th March 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

hi all,

thanks for the responses. i've pulled apart the power supply to find that the primary side ground was lifted floating in the breeze. could be the culprit? i'll have to reconnect and see if this helps. I_F i'm shy a goat however i'm wondering if a cat will have the same effect! what do you guys think about the lifted ground solving the problem?

thanks

steve
Old 20th March 2008, 11:48 PM   #10
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Primary side ground?
Is that another phrase for Safety Earth?
or
do you mean mains supply Neutral?

Hide this!Advertise here!