ferrite cores on analogue cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2008, 03:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ferrite cores on analogue cables

What is your opinion on this. I understand that ferrites will attenuate RF freq. - but is that going to make any improvement (in theory) to analogue signal in stereo interconnects?
Old 14th March 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ferrite cores on analogue cables

Quote:
Originally posted by DECKY999
What is your opinion on this. I understand that ferrites will attenuate RF freq. - but is that going to make any improvement (in theory) to analogue signal in stereo interconnects?
Ferrites present a rising impedance to Radio Frequency
at or above a level (frequency usually in MHz) specified by the manufacturer of a particular ferrite. The ferrite then 'stores' this RF as an electromagnetic field around the ferrite itself.

Personally I have found that carefully selected ferrites do offer benefits in terms of sound quality.

Thanks
Gareth
Old 14th March 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It's done mainly to help with EMC.
Old 18th March 2008, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My experience, for what little it's worth, is completely counter-intuitive, and derives from tinkering with clip-on ferrites of the type intended for computer power cables:

On analogue cabling, and on anything but the earth cable in power cabling, I found the effect universally deleterious. The effect is slight, only really noticable over extended listening sessions where it manifests subjectively as a loss of dynamics and realism. I'm at a loss to explain it.

Correspondingly, the one place I DO find them useful is on the aerial lead for my DAB tuner, where they help to reduce the effects of radiated EMI/RFI from other components without noticably attenuating the (already weak) signal!

Anyway, in this case these things are cheap enough for you to buy a couple and experiment - don't rely on anecdote: see for yourself!

churz, sod

Hide this!Advertise here!