Now this I find amusing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2008, 12:28 PM   #1
GeeVee is offline GeeVee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Now this I find amusing

Today I stumbled across an advert from a hifi retailer, which has left me amused and somewhat speechless.

QUOTE:

“We have specially purchased a Nordost VIDAR cable burn in machine to offer this service on its cables. We all know that it can take time before your new cable begins to perform at its best. Nordost have developed the VIDAR burn in machine, which helps new and old cables on their way to optimum performance. We can burn in RCA, XLR and BNC interconnects and digital links as well as spade and/or banana terminated speaker cables. We can also burn in DIN to RCA tone arm cables, which normally take a lot longer to get to their very best. We also can revitalise your favourite cable with a burn-in.”

Maybe it’s just me that’s missing out, as I have not formally burnt in my cables and connectors, or had them re-burnt to restore them to optimum performance.

Hmmm - I wonder if a naked flame would do the same trick

GV
Old 12th March 2008, 01:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Now this I find amusing

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeVee

Hmmm - I wonder if a naked flame would do the same trick

If you are indeed using the original cables that came with your cd player, you needn't worry. I built a burn-in device years ago.
Old 12th March 2008, 01:55 PM   #3
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I've had all my cables cryogenically treated.
Now it seems I need them burned.

Will I have to have them cryo-treated again ???

Andy
Old 12th March 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Which gives me an idea for a new thread:

"Do all audio trolls really sound the same???"
Old 12th March 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know about cable connects, but credit cards can benefit tremendously from such treatment. I will be happy to provide an address if there is sufficient interest from members here. Any card, from any issuer, can be custom burned by me, my wife, and children at literally thousands of locations around the globe, from luxury resorts and top notch restaurants, to the finest in entertainment and shopping from Buenos Aires to Beijing! YOU never have to leave your home!!
Old 12th March 2008, 02:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am happy with temporal domain annealing.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Which gives me an idea for a new thread:
Maybe audiogon with their unquestionable: "no criticism of ludicrous claims permitted policy" is closer to the ideal of one who considers such questioning apparently outright trolling.
I had thought that this forum was at one time a domain were "voodoo" claims had very little chance to exist.
But over the last few month I had noticed a slide into the religion of the "undoubted efficay of any tweaks".
Sad to see the demise of scepticism.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:52 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I dunno, I'm alive and well.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

This is one of those subjects that can be poked at!

However, I wonder about this. In electrical wiring for a house let's say, If you use 14 AWG wiring (15 amps) and just for the sake of an argument, you have no breaker. Then you draw 20 amps through it. Eventually you have to change the wire (if you don't burn it first) because it actually goes through physical changes. I have also seen old 14 gauge wire that is 50 years old and used contstantly need to be changed.

So maybe at a smaller level physical changes do occur on our audio cables too. Probably nothing measureable (yet) but very possible. When electrons change from atom to atom or molecule to molecule for a long time, who knows what subtle changes may occur. I wouldn't doubt that the cables get less brassy. Hey Caps burn in, resistors burn in, tubes burn in, why not high quality cables?

Don't beat this to death, I just think this may be a possibility.

Hi Sy, what are you doing for your next amp festival? (referring to another thread like this) I hope all is well!

Regards//Keith
Old 12th March 2008, 06:48 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Keith, I have no idea.

The Festival itself will be Bigger and Better. We've got some experience behind us now. Tough weekend for me since my best friend is getting married, too, and I'm supposed to put on a tuxedo and be a Best Man. So I may be a bit blearier than last year...

Hide this!Advertise here!