Ceramic ball decoupling! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2008, 06:40 PM   #1
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Ceramic ball decoupling!

Okay, a new whim (or not) the said Ceramic balls have indefinte advantages? Kind of like when the spikes invaded us or?
http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/products/ceraball
What do you think, a new pour of snake oil or not?

Old 10th March 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ceramic ball decoupling!

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe

You bet!!!
Old 10th March 2008, 07:47 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default nope

Proper control of vibration in hifi is critical. Many electric parts are microphonic, so controlling vibrational noise in electronics chassis keep the tubes, capacitors, yadda yadda, from singing along with the music. In the case of digital componentry, it's less clear-cut, but in a laser-based reader, reducing vibrations keeps the read clean and uses less error-correction, not to mention, it still has capacitors! Clocks may have some issues to be addressed on this front, many people have reported good results from damping their clocks in digital gear.)

Overpriced maybe, but easy to experiment on your own with various supports, dampeners, yadda yadda
Old 10th March 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ceramic ball decoupling!

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe

This would depend largely on your hearing acuity.

Personally, i find mechanical support more important than cabling and have been using a steel ball version for many years. Much preferable than cones but the components tend to sway a bit.
Old 10th March 2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
The descriptions and explanations given in the web site can be put in two words: snake oil.
Old 11th March 2008, 06:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

They are more effective then cones - simply because every time energy that is entring your system has to cross a boundary between disimilar materials it is disipated and transformed to heat. Ceramics are very good in doing this.

If you want I have a bunch of spare aluminium oxide and silicone nitride balls - 3/8" diameter (~9.5mm).

Drop me a mail if you are interested.

decky999@gmail.com
Old 11th March 2008, 06:55 AM   #7
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Decky, thanks a lot for the offer. I have send you an email.
The reviews are really enthusiastic about this product, so it could be interesting to try something similar.
The company also makes this Resonator:
http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/products/resonator
Thats a new concept for me and seems even more "snake-like" to me The price is a bit scary too.
Good or not, the feet looks pretty cool.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ceramic-_ball.jpg (23.7 KB, 295 views)
Old 11th March 2008, 07:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ceramic ball decoupling...
Well. Its easy to investigate. My kids have got loads of those ceramic balls. I doubt they'd miss a few marbles.
Thinking about it, I'd be happy to part with some, due to the snake oiliness of it all - £50 a marble. Sorry, ceramic decoupling ball.
Old 11th March 2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

HAhah I have some solid brass round knob door handles I use for feet in my amp... (well it weighs a tonne and would just destroy most plastic feet.)

Can't say it does anything... to get my box vibrateing is going to take some serious sound energy, case sides 4cm thick aluminium sinks, case front 3.5cm thick solid meranti...
Old 11th March 2008, 10:20 AM   #10
decky is offline decky  Australia
diyAudio Member

It is not only the balls. Finite elemente have good ideas but their implementation is not the best. I was planning to build something different (that is why I bought the balls in the first place). To save some words please see the attached drawing. I can go in details why in theory ceramic balls are better then steel but in this geometry even steel balls have a considerable effect.

As you can see - the lateral stability very low but the balls cannot roll-out because of the spherical seat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1cer-ball.pdf (22.5 KB, 43 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!