Class-A tube amps deprecated in the light of global warming?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Well, you can win by slowing down your internal processes at a rate greater than the increase in entropy in your local Hubble volume (assuming in the ultra distant future you can control all of it and exploit any deltas in energy to power your internal processes). Of course, then you're faced with another limit--the probability that the internal process timing mechanisms will fail goes to one as time goes to infinity. Now that's the one you can't get out of.

Please...

Hubble volume? Is that on topic?

So basically most people want to say that they don't find the evidence convincing regarding global warming.

I must agree that this is a difficult point. I mean it's easy to see how a supposedly scientific community with a common interest (weather) can develop a mass delusion, when you have the glaring first-hand evidence of the hi-fi community's continued espousal of valve amplifiers.

Interesting innit?

w

Re: Re: re:entropy

gootee said:

Huh? At the the link you gave, the headlines are screaming that it's a NON-LETHAL 'weapon'.

Or were you only trying to tie into the entropy/'heat death' theme?

Yes, kinda like `entropy in a spray can`. No political comments. The link was for the benefit of folks that didn`t know anything about the device I mentioned. The urgent practical application cited, my snow immobilized driveway, is real.

wakibaki said:
Please...

Hubble volume? Is that on topic?

So basically most people want to say that they don't find the evidence convincing regarding global warming.

My perception has been that 'too many' (and probably most) people do find the constant repetition in the media, and now even in our schools' curricula, all too convincing, which is why I sometimes give in to the temptation to try to be 'the voice of reason'. Or maybe it's more like being the child in "The Emperor's New Clothes".

I must agree that this is a difficult point. I mean it's easy to see how a supposedly scientific community with a common interest (weather) can develop a mass delusion, when you have the glaring first-hand evidence of the hi-fi community's continued espousal of valve amplifiers.

Interesting innit?

w

<GRIN!> Good one!

However, I don't see it quite as a 'mass delusion' on the part of that scientific community. I think that that only appears to be the case, due to much of the news media's tendency to promote what helps their agenda and suppress what doesn't. And unfortunately, it's apparently all too easy for them to do a pretty good job of it, when 'junk science' is involved.

Valve amplifier espousal is another whole can of worms. ;-) I will say that I am not one of the espousers.

And I haven't designed or built any valve equipment (yet; maybe someday, just for fun). But I admit that I have lovingly-restored a dozen or so antique valve radios, which, up until a few years ago, I could still sometimes find (i.e. 'rescue') at local yard sales, for just a few dollars.

Re: Re: Re: re:entropy

rcavictim said:

Yes, kinda like `entropy in a spray can`. No political comments. The link was for the benefit of folks that didn`t know anything about the device I mentioned. The urgent practical application cited, my snow immobilized driveway, is real.

Thanks. I'm sorry to hear about your driveway. I wish I could arrange some local weapon-testing, for you.

We no-doubt get FAR less snow than you get. But we do get the occasional 10 to 18 incher, typically around this time of year, when moisture from the Gulf of Mexico finally starts to reach us again, but while it's still cold-enough. Luckily, we have a nearby neighbor with a farm, who then just 'automatically' goes around with his huge John Deere tractor and plows every driveway in the entire neighborhood.

abzug said:

Huh? He was talking about entropy, not global warming. Though you can argue that global warming is a hoax, you can't possibly argue against the rise of entropy that guarantees that life in any part of the universe will eventually be impossible, because increase of entropy is a fundamental law of physics. That you would confuse the two things betrays ignorance of basic physics.

"That you would confuse the two things betrays ignorance of basic physics."

Yep! Wouldn't be hard for me to do, I never took a physics class in my life.
But, I can read.
If I betray ignorance.....wouldn't that mean I understand?
Perhaps you meant to say "Portrays ignorance"? Of which I stand guilty.....;)

SY, would never be sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Ron

I would think that the amount of energy consumed by a single ended class a amp, tube or transistor, would be minimal. This based upon the amount of time that it is powered on during the day. One thing to consider, a 10wpc per channel class a will probably consume between 200w and 600w of power. It's not unreasonable for a decent size home theater setup to use this much or more, so if you get more enjoyment out of your little class a than you would a home theater system, then I would call that acceptable. Just my thoughts. Also compare the energy usage between your stereo and someone who cruises in their car for fun. I think you will consume a lot less energy. How this all figures into your environmental concerns is mostly personal. Take the information at hand and make your decisions, but make sure they are reasoned, informed decisions. Not reactionary, off the cuff decisions based upon emotional reaction to incomplete information.
Gootee, I do hope you take good care of your kindly neighbor with the big tractor. That is a rare breed to have around and deserves respect and admiration.:)

Peace,

Dave

dave_gerecke said:
I would think that the amount of energy consumed by a single ended class a amp, tube or transistor, would be minimal. This based upon the amount of time that it is powered on during the day. One thing to consider, a 10wpc per channel class a will probably consume between 200w and 600w of power. It's not unreasonable for a decent size home theater setup to use this much or more, so if you get more enjoyment out of your little class a than you would a home theater system, then I would call that acceptable. Just my thoughts. Also compare the energy usage between your stereo and someone who cruises in their car for fun. I think you will consume a lot less energy. How this all figures into your environmental concerns is mostly personal. Take the information at hand and make your decisions, but make sure they are reasoned, informed decisions. Not reactionary, off the cuff decisions based upon emotional reaction to incomplete information.
Gootee, I do hope you take good care of your kindly neighbor with the big tractor. That is a rare breed to have around and deserves respect and admiration.:)

Peace,

Dave

Hi Dave,

All sounds pretty reasonable.

But, although I would LIKE to hope that each person's environmental concerns are, and could remain, mostly personal, one of the main problems I see (in that regard) is misguided 'environmentalists' foisting more and more legal inconvenience and expense on the rest of us, often based on unsound or outright-wrong 'science'. (And why can I no longer buy a shower head that's not @#$% "Low-Flow"?! We have more than plenty of water, here in the Midwestern U.S. And we pay for our own water supplies and wastewater treatment facilities.) [Hint: The 'right-wingers' aren't the main problem, any more.]

Environmentalism is also getting to be the new 'religion', replete with (very) blind Faith, earth-worship, guilt, Original Sin (just by being an evil human, thou hast defiled Mother Earth and must now atone), not to mention 'shunning' and 'persecution' that are becoming somewhat-reminiscent of the Middle Ages. There are even enviro-terrorists. And there seems to be a limitless supply of science-challenged people, some of whom are quite capable otherwise, who are enthusiastically adhering to this new type of religion. It scares me, on a couple of different levels.

-----

Yes, don't worry. Everyone takes good care of the kindly neighbor with the big tractor. And, actually, most of the people in this area are more-or-less like him. People are generally nice, here in The Great American Midwest. Most of us tend to try to help each other, whenever possible, at least in the more-rural and small-town areas (unless you stumble into a Meth lab's territory, maybe). And most of the people I know also respect other people's rights, and also seem to instinctively know when to 'mind their own business'.

When I lived in rural Illinois, for a while (After resigning my engineering position at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis, I rented a ten-room farmhouse with 20 acres and ten outbuildings for $50 a month(!), when I needed low overhead to start a software company, back in 1984.), there was a guy who had his own vehicle-repair service, who did my car repairs. One day, around 1988 I think, he was telling me about someone who had had car trouble, while passing through from somewhere out of state, on their way to a wedding that was way down in Texas, or New Mexico, or somewhere similarly far away. Their car couldn't be repaired quickly enough for them to make the ceremony, so he let them take HIS car, the rest of the way, and repaired theirs so they could pick it up on their way home. Now that's 'SERVICE'!

In the county where I live, where the largest town has about 15,000 inhabitants, there was a murder a few years back (someone from an East L.A. gang apparently traveled here to kill someone in a family that had just moved here, from there). So, at the time, the local newspaper people did some research to find out when the last previous homicide had occurred. And even though almost every household here is, and has always been, heavily armed with firearms of all sorts, the last previous known homicide, of any type, had been 168 YEARS before that! And that was a case where a sheriff's deputy had shot a prisoner he had been transporting, when the prisoner bolted from the stagecoach in which they were riding and ran for the woods (for the third or fourth time).

I do tend to still miss living in a larger, more-urban area, sometimes. We do have five Chinese restaurants in town, now, at least, and most of the usual fast-food franchises. I do have to drive for at least 60 to 90 minutes to find a very good restaurant selection, though, or to attend a good symphony or rock concert. (On the other hand, I know people who raise THE BEST beef that ever melted in a mouth, and can get all I want for basically nothing. And it's almost the same for turkey, chicken, and pork, and, of course, corn on the cob to die for. :) All in all, it's probably at least a good place to raise kids. Thankfully, my youngest is already 17.

Hello gootee, Glad to hear that you live in a good place. I'm from Ohio, moved here when I was very young. That sounds like the rural midwest I know. Rural Vermont is much the same way, except when people from big cities with different ideas move in and mess things up.
I pretty much agree with you on your first point of discussion about enviro-wackos. My commentary was said with a bit of sarcasm. Like I said, decisions should be made with good knowledge in hand. It's not bad to ask questions, like the one that started this thread. It is bad to take something you heard, possibly third or fourth hand, and believe it to be gospel truth. If someone believes in something, fine, live your life that way. Just stay the **** out of my life.

Peace,

Dave

I lived in Tahoe City for 20 years, some of which I saw 8 feet of snowfall overnight. One year the roads around Donner Lake had 40+ feet of snow, that was kinda spooky driving in a quazi tunnel.
The only veggies I ever was able to grow were bush beans, they were small, few and very sweet.
Ron

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Having driven through the Dark Ages, theocratic rule, the Spanish conquests, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, the KKK, slavery, the subjugation of women, the nuclear arms race and the Cold War, Western civilisation has finally reached the crossroads, looking towards an uncertain future of higher petrol taxes and flow-restricted showerheads.

The end is nigh.

G.Kleinschmidt said:
Having driven through the Dark Ages, theocratic rule, the Spanish conquests, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, the KKK, slavery, the subjugation of women, the nuclear arms race and the Cold War, Western civilisation has finally reached the crossroads, looking towards an uncertain future of higher petrol taxes and flow-restricted showerheads.

The end is nigh.

Killjoy. ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.