Interconnects - Magnet wire? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interconnects - Magnet wire?

Cat 5 and magnet wire - very good speaker cables . . For interconnects, Iíve read that Cat 5 can work very well.

Iím moving my sources & ďpre-ampĒ next to where I sit . . it makes room up the more visible end of the room, for some big speakers

Interconnect lengths will be about 5 m.

Iíve got quite a few to do (including another room o0f similar lengths) so for speed of putting them all together *if sound quality is likely to be about equal, Iíd prefer solid core over multi strand (cat 5).

I donít know if any of this effects things:
the ďpre-ampĒ is a Promitheus Audio transformer volume control (www.promitheusaudio.com/frontpage.html). The TVCís output impedance depends on the volume setting, but is very low, typically c 2 - 25 R. As TVCs add virtually resistance, the impedance at itís outputs effectively derives from the source equipment. The source is mostly CD, though in time it will become the PC. The power amps for the foreseeable future will be SS.

So . . would solid core magnet wire work as well as cat 5?

Iím considering a local magnet wire of outer size of 1.25 mm (core = 1.0? mm) ie cross sectional area about 0.8 mm^2. As cross sectional area (CSA) decreases, I think resistance less? Does the TVCís lower output impedance mean less interconnect CSA is needed?

A search showed that some believe that if the is cables including cat 5 are Teflon-wrapped (C5 plenum grade), itís better, not sure how. If such a thing might exist, is it worth seeking out Teflon-wrapped magnet wire?

Thoí if cat 5 is better, how many strands should be enough for that length?

Thanks
Old 4th March 2008, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

flat shield braid is also a good choice. flat conductors have very little skin effect since the magnetic fields are concentrated on the outside edges.

solid magnet wire has a lot of skin effect, stranded has less, litz wire(made of separate enameled strands of magnet wire) is better than stranded (and cat 5 cable behaves like litz wire), and flat ribbon conductors have the least skin effect.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Other way around there, as the cross sectional area INCREASES, resistance DECREASES.

At any rate, the resistance of the wire will be negligible compared to the source impedance.

Using shielded twisted pair wire could be beneficial, in the form of lower noise pickup. Some CAT5 wire is shielded, some isn't. If you don't ground the shield it won't do much good however.

The dielectric type is not significant unless you believe it is.

If you are very concerned about the long interconnect length, consider balanced connections far more important than the type of wire used.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

skin effect reduces the AVAILABLE cross sectional area, which is why flat conductors work better.

skin effect is an electromagnetic phenomenon that reduces the cross section of the wire as frequency increases
Old 4th March 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not contradicting you there UncleJed, and I fully understand skin effect as I deal with radio frequencies over long distances daily. I didn't see your post until after the reply was sent. The OP post did not reference skin effect and incorrectly stated that a decrease in cross sectional area would result in a decrease in resistance.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
60 is offline 60  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 60 Send a message via MSN to 60 Send a message via Yahoo to 60
Quote:
Originally posted by gtforme00

The dielectric type is not significant unless you believe it is.

ben duncan proved otherwise, in Hi FI News .
Old 4th March 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

unclejed316,

email sent.
Old 5th March 2008, 02:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

> the resistance of the wire will be negligible compared to the source impedance

Even over 5 m (16 feet) - I didnít know that

flat shield braid? (flat conductors would fit better under carpet.)

I found this
http://www.tvcinc.com/products_detai...product_id=838

but havenít yet found a supplier or a price. My hunch is it would cost more, are there other brands/ who is your supplier?

Thank you
Old 5th March 2008, 02:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I design sonar transducers for a living, and have access to all forms of neat shielded twisted pair cables. We routinely transmit up to 800kHz over distances longer than 5m.

PM me if you are in the USA.

There are way more important things to worry about in audio than cables.
Old 5th March 2008, 04:31 AM   #10
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Take a look at these.... You sort through what may or may not be true: http://www.anticables.com/anti-ic.html

Me personally, I like (very much so) and use Belden 89259 cable (cheap) with Eichmann Bullets (RCAs) (not so cheap).

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!