Advice: Dog Silencer Modification for enchanced range & intensity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
boukisan said:
Hmmm, a self-perpetuating dog bark escalator.

Maybe it could be like filtered with a slow delay (barks building on barks) - it could annoy the hell out of everybody. Sounds fun! I could do it on the weekend when everyone is home.
Put the speakers on the roof, and the mic at the fence...

I guess that would be an unstable system, then, since it would have "positive feedbark".

:)

boukisan said:
This device that I have mentioned sweeps through frequencies, audible and inaudible

There is an automotive road animal repellent available here which does this. It "chirps" through to ultrasonic frequencies. It sounds like a "zip" sound. It is said that it alerts the animals without stunning them or disorienting them because they would choose to get off the road if they had a choice, but they can't normally hear cars coming.

This makes me wonder what it takes to actually annoy the dogs. Though it maybe just needs to be a distraction?

Dogs are pretty smart

They live for the moment. It's all about timing.

Hmmm, a self-perpetuating dog bark escalator.

You could pass it through a high pass filter. They can hardly hear the low frequency components of the bark, anyway.

jnb said:

There is an automotive road animal repellent available here which does this. It "chirps" through to ultrasonic frequencies. It sounds like a "zip" sound. It is said that it alerts the animals without stunning them or disorienting them because they would choose to get off the road if they had a choice, but they can't normally hear cars coming.

This makes me wonder what it takes to actually annoy the dogs. Though it maybe just needs to be a distraction?

They live for the moment. It's all about timing.

You could pass it through a high pass filter. They can hardly hear the low frequency components of the bark, anyway.

I already knew that dogs and some other animals could hear higher frequencies than humans can hear. But I had never heard that they also can not hear lower frequencies as well. Do you have a link to something that will enable us to learn more about that?

And I knew about sonic devices being used to try to make sure that animals got out of the way of vehicles. And I have seen evidence that they do work. But I did not think that those were needed because the animals couldn't hear vehicles approaching. Vehicles also produce some relatively-high frequencies. And the animals do have eyes, too, after all. I assumed that the animals were simply incapable of comprehending the danger, and the relatively high speeds of vehicles, etc, and that something more was needed, to sufficiently get their attention and to cause enough fear. Do you have a link to any material that might explain how the devices actually affect the animals?

I purchased a Kemo MO71N ultrasonic vermin repellent. It has a built in piezo and adjustable frequency control. It also has a speaker out for attaching another one of their speakers. It works well but does not produce enough output. I need to figure out how to reduce the voltage coming out the speaker out to drive amp and array of tweeters. This might work for you as well.

Hello from Maine :)

I have the same problem, inconsiderate neighbors that have loud dogs, they won't listen top me and deprive my child from sleep :(

Not to mention the dogs drive me insane!

I found something via Google that might help, it's called "shut that mutt"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2GRLT9AE

I wonder how the OP ever solved his problem? I can't want to solve mine

It should be legal, nay mandatory, to stab inconsiderate dog owners... over and over and over ...

:mad:

If you want to shut up the dogs you must train the owners. Use Pavlov conditioning. Google it. Now, sneak into the neighbours, connect to their 110 or 240 power supply and run the wires back to your place. These wires must be well hidden. Connect a 5 or 6v high current transformer the wrong way around and wire in a momentary push button. Isolate everything so it is safe. If neighbours anoy you push button. On a 240 volt mains a 6 volt transformer will deliver 9.6kvolts. When they come and sak if you have electrical problems say no! They will eventually sell up.

Well the device I ordered seems to be working, I'm not sure though - coincidentally the weather got cold right around the same time I installed it so I guess the dogs are outside less (?)

So I did hear barking but it was short - like one bark or one string of barks, but that's a lot better than it was before. I can move the device closer too. Just having the device really gives me peace of mind for previously unsolvable problem :)

We'll see how it goes.

If dogs are driving you crazy take action, brooding doesn't accomplish anything :)

Good luck,
Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.