windows update failed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something you can try with the XP PC:

Restart it and as it is booting up, keep hitting the F8 key until it brings you to a list of options.

Choose: Safe Mode with Networking.

When all is loaded up, go to IE and click on "Tools" and then in the dropdown menu, click on Windows update.

Go through the steps of any updates recommended and hopefully that will get you started in the right direction towards a stable PC until you extract what you want.

Then run any Virus scans you have installed.

Then download and run the free version of Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download

After you extract all you want onto the new PC, then wipe the HD, reload XP, drivers, apps and all the updates and it will perform like new again! Still a great backup computer

I hope this helps!

W7 activated : Explorer / Computer Right Click on "Properties" (approximative as I have French W7)

IE is natively associated with Windows Update service, lauched when you type "windows update" in Start / Execute menu.
Forget Firefox for Windows Update services. Great for other surfing purposes.

Firewall (internal W7 service) : Start / Execute type "services.msc" and then browse "firewall".
Are you runing another protection utility ?

You can stop it for a while, automatic start activated by default.
Could be slightly different as I've got French W7 version... approximative traduction

Last edited:
I have AVG shortcut icon on desktop. That's what I opened.
But I can't see a menu to switch off or disable or shutdown

I know if I do CTRL+ALT+DEL I will be able to see all the files that are running, but AVG has lots of entries.

Since I have a wide screen I have moved the bottom bar to the side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.